Had a nice hunt yesterday with two Purdue University Student

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Keystone Kid

Had a nice hunt yesterday with two Purdue University Student

Post by Keystone Kid »

Took two real nice gentlemen out rabbit & squirrel hunting on Salamonie Reservoir that are students at Purdue University (Keith & Gorge). It was Gorge's first time hunting rabbit or squirrels with dogs and Keith's first time hunting squirrels with dogs. Had an enjoyable hunt with both of them yesterday morning and afternoon, even though it snowed the entire time we were in the field & woods.

With a dry powdery snow coming down and the temperatures not getting out of the teens the rabbit hunting was tough, but the beagles managed to get a handful of rabbits up and Keith & Gorge did manage to harvest a couple that didn’t go in holes. The squirrels seemed to be moving a little more than the rabbits, so we put my beagles up and got out my treeing cur “Fly” & one of her pups “Trapper”.

They treed on a handful of trees, but only two were on the outside. So Keith & Gorge managed to harvest two squirrels on a tough afternoon hunt. Two is better than none :) We should have switched over to hunting squirrels by late morning and they might have had a better chance at harvesting their limit. By mid afternoon the squirrel were in or near dens. It put down close to six inches of snow while we were hunting. Needless to say, “we had the woods & fields to our selves” :)

Hope we can get out together again this season on a more suitable day. They start back to school Monday.
* I enjoy meeting new Beaglers & Squirrel Dog Owners. It's a blessing to find other's with such unique interests.
* I also enjoy helping future hunters.

http://www.heasleyskeystonekennels.com

Casey Harner

Re: Had a nice hunt yesterday with two Purdue University Student

Post by Casey Harner »

If it was Keith O'Haver, he's a great young man and he can shoot the daylights out of rabbits.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

jon cornett

Post by jon cornett »

Shoot the daylights out of rabbits ! That aint the Keith i know, lol!!! just kidding keith, sounds like you had a good time and congrats.

keith2210

Post by keith2210 »

lol i didnt live up to my normal shooting yesterday boys. i went two for two believe it or not and neither one was sitting lol. i had a great time and want to thank jim for taking us out. i had a great time rabbit hunting and that squirrel dog of yours, fly, man she is somethin else. thanks again jim.

P.S. Keep yours eyes and ears open for a dog and send em my way if ya could.
"I didn't climb all the way to the top of the food chain to eat carrots." Ron White

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Did you at least have your shells in the chamber?? I still remeber hearing my gun go click! :lol:
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Keystone Kid

Post by Keystone Kid »

Sorry guys, I didn't know how to spell your last names. It was Keith O'Haver and "I think" Gorge Biddlecome. Let me know if either name is misspelled. I hate misspelling things!
* I enjoy meeting new Beaglers & Squirrel Dog Owners. It's a blessing to find other's with such unique interests.

Keystone Kid

Post by Keystone Kid »

Just another day in the field today squirrel hunting with Gorge Biddlecome. I let George do all the shooting, and that freed me up to work more with Fly’s pups “Super Fly”. I hope she lives up to her name :) She’s another one of my Fly & Joe Black pups. She started treeing and hunting much better today. She just needs more time in the woods. I think she has made it “over the hump”. Boy, she’s going to have a BIG MOUTH! It was a pleasure hunting with her today. I think soon she will be treeing solo.

We got in the woods around 10AM and the squirrels were already moving good. We treed on nothing but dens after 12:15PM. I think we should have started earlier today, but I had other business to attend to. Had a great hunt even though we only shot 3. We stopped hunting by 3:15PM. I’m probably going rabbit hunting Monday.

Here are some photos: