why cant grown men just be honest

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Emery

Re: why cant grown men just be honest

Post by Emery »

When I have sold dogs, I list every fault I can think of. I probably hang onto dogs a lot longer that way, but at least the person knows what I think of the dog before they buy it. As far as I know, nobody has ever complained about a dog that I sold them (or at least they haven't told me about it). I try to be as honest as I can. Unfortunately, not all people are like that. Some just see an opportunity to make some money and don' t have a care in the world at who they screw over.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I would use this as a learning opportunity and learn from your mistake. The next time you go to purchase a dog, go see it run first and make sure to shoot over it before you bring it home.

Best of luck,
Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

ya know i dont see how some guys can do things like that he knew you would find out i cant stand a lyer or a theif i wont hardly sell a dog unless its to someone i know i wont give no trial either unless they try it here where im at ya never know what some guys will do to your dog i have seen guys kick their dogs right in the ribs for comeing out in the road was told he would pick a dog up n throw it over a hill if it came out of the weeds i was told this after i baught the dog by aother guy the dog hunted great for me thats what ya might get into letting somebody ya dont know take your dog on trial jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

Jamie Rice

Post by Jamie Rice »

No offense, but I have never understood why guys complain when they never try a dog out. To me if you don't then one has no right to complain. If you waited a year then who is really to fault.
Jamie D. Rice
FUZZ'S BEAGLES
"I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me." - Philippians 4:13 KJV

mud

Post by mud »

I sell very few dogs.However when I do I stand behind what I say. You don't owe me a long winded reason why the dog don't suit you. Just bring it back and I will refund your money.No questions asked. I have been took by others on this board.I don't trash them out in a public forum.I suck it up and go on.I bought a dog this fall off the board supposed to have extreme hunt gun dog supreme LOL I got itchy bought the dog knowing that I was making a mistake.My fault pure and simple.I contacted the owner.He said your baby now rock it.Which I did.I gave it away to a young hunter.On the other hand I have bought young dogs off Tony Akers,Robert Hatfield.Honest guys.Never met them we dealt over the phone.They were just what they said.I bought a young female off Nate Harris.He said if she don't take a gun kill her and I will give your money back..She did as advertised..So I guess we all have to sort through the dishonest beagler.I belive the honest ones far out weigh the dishonest if you look hard enough.I just pack run and gun hunt.I have like others seen the ugly side of trials years ago.I choose not to attend.For the ones that do thats great...

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

Fuzz said: No offense, but I have never understood why guys complain when they never try a dog out. To me if you don't then one has no right to complain. If you waited a year then who is really to fault.

With all due respect, you are exactly right. You can't guarantee a dog forever. I give one week for a person to try it any way he wants to and, then if he buys it, It is his dog in every way. There is generally a few faults in every dog Whether a person tells you about them or not.

That said, if this guy is a friend of yours, he should make it right and understand your situation. If he isn't a friend, what's his name? I live in Michigan and buy a few dogs up your way.

Bob-Michigan

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

When I was young I got a dog one time and she was gun shy.So I went to the man that sold me the dog and told him the dog was gun shy.Yell I know that but you didnot ask that.You ask could she run a rabbit and I told you she could.Just as good as any dog I ve got.So you got a dog that can run a rabbit.So now on when I get a dog.I ask.Whats wroung with the dog.Man I was :angryfire: :angryfire:

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

At what point is the hound actually sold?
At what point does either buyer or seller no longer have the option to call off the deal?

When you deliver the hound?
When the trial period is over?
When you get paid for the hound?
When you sign over the papers?

In what order does the transaction occur when you sell a hound? Just wondering how others do this. What do you feel is fair for both sides?

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

S.R. Why don't you put this in a Poll form?

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Hi Bob,
I guess I could figure that out...but a "poll" is only a "point and click"..., a "reply" gives ownership and may give you a option to question anthers reasoning. I need to know people's logic and see where I may be wrong... :???:

davidc5936

Post by davidc5936 »

Different dog deals are done different ways. If I was selling a dog to someone I knew, I would tell him everything I know about the dog and let him go with me and run the dog as long as he wanted to. I realize that watching a dog run on my running grounds with my pack may not give a guy a perfect idea of what the dog will be like on strange grounds with strange dogs, but it will give him a good idea of what the dog will be like in a few weeks or months when it settles in at his place. I've never had a man want his money back when he has had a good look at the dog before he bought it.

Selling a dog to a complete stranger is another story. I don't like to sell dogs to total strangers, especially those who don't live within a reasonable distance of me. I would never sell a dog to someone I thought would mistreat it or someone who's idea of "training" was totally different than mine. I wouldn't sell a dog to a man who has a pack of dogs that are skin and bones. I ususally can get a pretty good idea about how much a person knows about keeping dogs and what he likes and dislikes in a dog from a telephone conversation. I have talked to guys on the phone and then decided not to sell them the dog- I just thought it would be trouble.

I bought 2 dogs from Bighead, and they were exactly what he said they were. My son and I bought a dog from Mike Crabbtree and my son didn't have a chance to watch her run before he picked her up but Mike said if we didn't like her to bring her back. We never took her back- she was better than he said she was. I would buy a dog from either of these gentlemen without seeing it run because I trust them.

Buying a dog without a trial or seeing it run is a risky deal. You better know who you are dealing with when you do it. "Buyer beware" is good advice, in my humble opinion.
Dave Cunningham

Richmond, VA

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

A man is only as good as his word , reguardless . If a man tells another man something or makes him an offer IMO he must follow through.
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

davidc5936 wrote:Different dog deals are done different ways. If I was selling a dog to someone I knew, I would tell him everything I know about the dog and let him go with me and run the dog as long as he wanted to. I realize that watching a dog run on my running grounds with my pack may not give a guy a perfect idea of what the dog will be like on strange grounds with strange dogs, but it will give him a good idea of what the dog will be like in a few weeks or months when it settles in at his place. I've never had a man want his money back when he has had a good look at the dog before he bought it.

Selling a dog to a complete stranger is another story. I don't like to sell dogs to total strangers, especially those who don't live within a reasonable distance of me. I would never sell a dog to someone I thought would mistreat it or someone who's idea of "training" was totally different than mine. I wouldn't sell a dog to a man who has a pack of dogs that are skin and bones. I ususally can get a pretty good idea about how much a person knows about keeping dogs and what he likes and dislikes in a dog from a telephone conversation. I have talked to guys on the phone and then decided not to sell them the dog- I just thought it would be trouble.

I bought 2 dogs from Bighead, and they were exactly what he said they were. My son and I bought a dog from Mike Crabbtree and my son didn't have a chance to watch her run before he picked her up but Mike said if we didn't like her to bring her back. We never took her back- she was better than he said she was. I would buy a dog from either of these gentlemen without seeing it run because I trust them.

Buying a dog without a trial or seeing it run is a risky deal. You better know who you are dealing with when you do it. "Buyer beware" is good advice, in my humble opinion.
Dave,
Say Bighead shipped this hound to you(no charge) then, say money was a little tight so he said "take your time", then say, two months later he's lost some of his hounds and wants to cut the deal. He still has no money for his hound(deposit or downpayment). Now you want to whip-up on him for this and don't want to let the hound go back. Do you think he should sign the papers over and mail them to you before you pay him for the hound? Does he have the right to get his hound back?
This is all so confusing, I just don't know about this Bighead fellow, what do you think is the right thing to do?

mud

Post by mud »

In over 35 years of owning beagles I have made every type screw up that a man can make.I once asked a man does this dog run deer.He said not on me I won't tolerate a deer dog.He neglected to say the dog had never been off the chain.LOL My buddy gave me good advice.If a dog is that good word of mouth sells it.A fellow hunter will buy it. No advertising on the net is needed.He is usually right. Some people like my friend are the ultimate deal makers.He can sell dogs for very good money where I could have the same dog and have to almost give it away.Go figure...I try to be honest.Dogs and women can make a liar out of you very quick.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I have to agree with Jumpdog1. When a man tells you or represents something it should be as represented, period. A man's word should be his bond and his slight of word should be his conscience. If they aren't then he is no man but a scoundrel in my book, plain and simple. I've bought dogs and equipment off these boards several times and thus far I've received exactly what was represented and it should be that way on every deal. Of course I'm pretty picky about who I would do that with and when I see people go through dogs and equipment faster than I change underwear then I steer clear of those deals as they just haven't had enough time with things to know everything about it. What I don't understand is if a person sells something and the purchaser notifys them that it isn't as they said why, then, if it was correctly represented, do they NOT take it back to resell it, if it's returned in the same condition as when it left? I'm not talking about keeping and using something for a year but rather within a reasonable time after it was purchased like a couple of weeks. I take the view on buying dogs and equipment just as I do buying a used car and that is if it was a great car the owner would still own it so there must be a fault in it. That fault could be anything but one thing for sure it ain't flawless or else it wouldn't be for sale.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

So what are you saying? I give the hound and papers over before getting paid? I have no right to get the hound back?