MAKING JERKY....

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

dave404

MAKING JERKY....

Post by dave404 »

I am getting ready to make some deer jerky. No doubt lots on here are good hands at it.
is it best in the oven or dehydrator ?
i like it tender(bad teeth) and peppered,spicy.
would like a good recipe. thanks

kurtc

Re: MAKING JERKY....

Post by kurtc »

Gander has some good cures. I like mine done in a dehydrator but thats just me.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

A buddy of mine dehydrates some at work every year...bad thing is for him, he never makes it home with any left... :lol: ...that's some good stuff... ;)

Eva's Beagles

Post by Eva's Beagles »

I have had it and made it in an oven and a dehydrater, it works well both ways. Hi Mountain makes a real nice variety of flavors. It is fairly easy to find and easy to follow recipes. I just bought and tried their snackin sticks pepper blend and it is excellant. My brother puts his in the smoker for 2 hours before it goes in the oven, tastes great, Brian.
Eva's Beagles

marr24

Post by marr24 »

I make batches of deer jerky every year. I use different cures from Cabela's and a dehydrator. It's really simple with a jerky shooter. You can make it as tender or as chewy as you want depending on how long you leave it in.

TallPaul

Post by TallPaul »

I'll help, for a price of 10 lbs of whole meat.

Smoker, hard wood chips, (i like a carcoal smoker, but elec gas works nice too)
temp 200-210
cut 1/4 in strips, remove as much of the fat and connective tissue

Cure - I forget the name, dunham sports or cabelas sells it, has a picture of a deer and a herford bull on it.
cure meat, 12 hours, soak wood chips in water 12 hours

about 25 minutes start checking, it should pull apart and have a maroon color, don't over cook, it will be be to dry, about 35 minutes is the magic time, depends on the heat and meat thickness. if you over cook, you can save it by putting it in a bag right away, with a couple slices of bread, and place sealed bag in the refrig.

Send whole meat to TallPaul
Beagling is not a science, just an opinion!

birmi1nr

Post by birmi1nr »

I prefer the dehydrator. Make my own marinade with a couple of bottles of worstercheir, soy sauce, & bottle of liquid smoke (Even add some A-1 or BBQ sauce sometimes). Add all the different spices you want, onion powder, garlic powder, seasoning salt, hot salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, cajun seasoning, etc. I like mine hot and spicy so I usually stop in at the Mexican markets and buy some of their crushed pepper seasonings and add it to the mix. Cut the meat into jerky strips and let'em soak, the longer the better usually 24-48 hours and put'em on the the dehydrator from there. Just typing this is making me want to make up another batch, since the last batch didn't last for more than 3 days and it was gone.
CEREAL CITY KENNELS
FCGD CEREAL CITY WANGO TANGO
FCGD CEREAL CITY OOH LALA

yorkmtnbeagles

Post by yorkmtnbeagles »

half gallon jug of sliced meat....2tbsp onion flakes 3/4cup soy sauce 1tsp garlic powder 1tsp salt 1/2 tsp all spice 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup worchersire sauce 1 tsp accent salt 1 tsp black pepper and i use dehydrators but the oven works also.........

jfields

Post by jfields »

Soy Sauce
Worchester
Liquid Smoke
Brown Sugar
garlic powder
hot sauce
Salt
black pepper
onion powder

Use the same amount of Soy , Liquid smoke , and brown sugar. Use double the amount of worchester.
Breed Em Good & Run Em Hard
http://shadywoodzkennels.tripod.com/index.html
James Fields
Home.304 426 - 5005
Cell....304 785 -1003

T. Sites

Post by T. Sites »

1-cup worchestershire sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup of liquid smoke
1/3 cup brown sugar
tbsp sugar
black pepper
crushed red pepper seasoning
paprika
hot sauce and or barbecue sauce
Mix together with enough water to cover the meat. You can mix or match and add extra spices. I have no set way.The main ingredients are the worchester ,soy and liquid smoke.Let the jerky marinate over night. I use a dehydrator and the longer it dries,the tougher it gets. I do know that if you use ground deer it is way more tender. You can flatten the meat out with your hand or roll it up into finger size rolls. Dry off the excess water with a paper towel and it will get done a lot faster.Seems like I spice mine up different every time and it all still gets eat.