ticks!!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

padeerhunter

ticks!!!

Post by padeerhunter »

Is there anything else I can do to keep the ticks off!! Our beagles stay in the house with us. We use Advantix on the dogs which seems to work great if the tick BITES them, but if they don't bite them and when we come in the house they can jump off them and on to us. After hunting on Saturday I pulled 6 off the one dog and 2 off the other-all dead because they had bite into them. Found 2 crawling on one dog and only got a hold of one, lost the other...in the house somewhere!!! Also had one latched onto my stomach!! Don't know anything about the cattle tags, do they repel the ticks from the dogs? Can you use both the advantix and tags together? Could I just use the tags on there shock collars when we are out hunting or do they absorb something from the tags to help control the ticks? Thanks for any help :!:

Doug

P.S. I HATE TICKS :angryfire:

tom summers

Re: ticks!!!

Post by tom summers »

I am still pulling ticks off my dogs here in michigan and we have had a few good frost and still getting them.
This is the first time I hvae ever had them this late?

scootersjill

Post by scootersjill »

used the purple cattle tags this summer once they were on for a couple days never found a tick. :idea:
skillet creek jammin jill RIP
skillet creek suzie Q
D-N-J"s Hammerin Hannah
Mike's Sunrise Scooter

padeerhunter

Post by padeerhunter »

Do you just put the cattle tags on when you go hunting? Are they suppose to repel the ticks so they stay off the dog completely? Thanks

Doug

scootersjill

Post by scootersjill »

i put them on there collars and leave them on. have had no prob with fleas and repells flies.will change after about 2 mths during summer.
skillet creek suzie Q
D-N-J"s Hammerin Hannah
Mike's Sunrise Scooter

jar242

Post by jar242 »

I just went to the cattle tags. I figured little beagles do not need the whole cattle tag. I just cut them into thirds, then I just make a slit in them with scissors or a knife and slide the collar through it. I kept an eye on them to make sure it didn't irritate the skin or anything and they aren't scratching or anything so I guess it's okay. I've seen quite a few fleas and those little tiny ticks still out this late but once I went to the cattle tags, nothing.

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

i put the purple cattle tags on my dogs back in early summer havent seen a tick or flea not even flies will bother them the cattle tags are the only way to go i leave them on my dogs all year in early spring just change out to a new tag i also left one on a female during whelp no flies even around the new pups jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

oceanguy

Post by oceanguy »

PA I put my cow tags on a seperate collar and take it off when they in (sleep inside out the rest) gone from 15 or 20 a dog in the spring to 1 or none now :lol:

padeerhunter

Post by padeerhunter »

Where do you get the cow tags?

scootersjill

Post by scootersjill »

i get mine from a local guy that sells feed. think i seen guys mention tractor supply . can get them from CHIP E on the board i believe.
skillet creek suzie Q
D-N-J"s Hammerin Hannah
Mike's Sunrise Scooter