Drummond Island

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sgc

Re: Drummond Island

Post by sgc »

What if they were just out of shape?

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

SGC

"Out of Shape", in our world was just an excuse. You did not take them to the "Jewel" if you were going to use excuses. A dog's nerve or "bottom" as we call it had nothing to do with being in shape. It had to do with heart and "want to". Drummond was a test and it was "pass" or "fail". No in betweens.

Admitted, things are different now for most people but, for the old timers, I think they will know for which I speak. I know people on this site who will understand. I'll give a shout out to Chuck R. for example. He knows.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Buck,
Not only true in "those days" but still true today, for me anyways.
Now I have yet to make it to the island, but this holds true in northern WI as well.

Swamp

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I'll agree "the Rock" can be cruel ! It's eaten the pads off a number of my hounds in the Fall, it even ate the soles off my "Rockies" one year... :lol:
The South side seems to have more soil, the water is better filtered down there but the Northeast is rock and gives the hounds a pounding, feet and shoulders will be tested, or maybe there is truth, a dark pigment makes a tougher hide... :lol:...blast their pink feet... :ashamed:

Swampman, The hare of Wis. were as worthy an opponent as the hare of the Rock, and, all hounds and hunters came home with their feet intact, which I liked much better... ;)

les guynn

Post by les guynn »

I went up to drummon last week hunted 4 days with two of my friends, we only killed 1 rabbit and missed one, for the most part the running wasn't bad some very long chases, and some short ones i think the rabbit populaton was down from last year. runing yes killing no unles you are lucky, but i don't care any more about the kill as long as they run good and that is what my dogs did, made music to my ears,and had fun and don't forget CHUCKS PLACE OR THE BEAR PAW,OR THE BOWLING RESTURANT. GOOD FOOD GOOD PEOPLE. place to stay birch tree cabins kim and donna messenger the place we have been going to for 10 years and treated like kings. GOD BLESS

jim matuszewski

Post by jim matuszewski »

I have a few questions for guys on here .I'm planning a 3 day trip in mid dec. with me and my 2 sons and 4 dogs without giving up your honey holes could you give a starting point in your opinion from past visits. just a simple north,south east, west,or middle would do. Also would just a 4 wheel drive truck be enough transportation to bring? or would a four wheeler or snowmoble be needed? Thanks Jim

mjd

Post by mjd »

four wheeler or snowmobile would be the cats a$$,if your close to the trails,talk to the owners of birch tree or wa wen,they will point you in the right direction ;) ,call them before you head up and they will tell you how much snow they have and whats coming,im always a passenger so i dont know my way around there very well
jim matuszewski wrote:I have a few questions for guys on here .I'm planning a 3 day trip in mid dec. with me and my 2 sons and 4 dogs without giving up your honey holes could you give a starting point in your opinion from past visits. just a simple north,south east, west,or middle would do. Also would just a 4 wheel drive truck be enough transportation to bring? or would a four wheeler or snowmoble be needed? Thanks Jim

jt&z's dad

Post by jt&z's dad »

A 4x4 truck is all we ever needed on the island. Most of the roads and trails are pretty easy. Be careful you know what road/ trail you are on. You can pick up a map of the trails at just about any business on the island. The have some really tricky jeep trails that you may not want to go down. If you stay on the main trails you will be fine. Also like others have said talk to the locals and your host, they will put you in the area.
"Beagling is like wrestling, leave your excuses with your mommy" TallPaul 2008

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Thats quite a trip for you isnt it Jim?

I always thought Northern WI had great snowshoe hare hunting?/

Are things down up there?

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

bluegrass

Post by bluegrass »

jt&z's dad wrote:A 4x4 truck is all we ever needed on the island. Most of the roads and trails are pretty easy. Be careful you know what road/ trail you are on. You can pick up a map of the trails at just about any business on the island. The have some really tricky jeep trails that you may not want to go down. If you stay on the main trails you will be fine. Also like others have said talk to the locals and your host, they will put you in the area.

If you go up late enough you MIGHT run into problems with these trails...they groom the snowmobile trails and they are CLOSED to pickups then....you will lose over half the island to hunt on once they get the trails groomed.

Tony
The 1st amendment allows the usual liberal narcissistic "I think.." which is how they start all their sentences.

The second amendment protects us from implementing "I think"

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Last year the talk was, the wolf pack was in the east/southeast area. There are so many deer we didn't worry to much. The attraction to Drummond is, there are nice cabins/homes to rent, the people are so nice and the Island is 70% State owned.
There are better/as good places hunt in the upper, you just have to have the time to explore the areas. We use 2 days of vacation to get there and return so we need a place to settle into and just hunt around where we stay. If there are only 2 of us, we can move around and check new places, but when there are 6 or more, it's worse than moving around a bunch of old women... :lol:
I hope to try the west side of the upper sometime... good luck with your hunt and just watch the weather channel, sometimes the south side is more protected from the winds, main roads are plowed and you can hike in on the snowtrails, snowshoes are recommended ... ;)

jim matuszewski

Post by jim matuszewski »

thanks for responding guys, mybeagles its a 5 hour trip across up to the island plenty of hares still up here in Wi. just like doing little hunting trips with my boys youngest is a senior in highschool the other works construction out of state and I like seeing different country and meeting new people AAlso seems like you can do it cheap enough.

Schag

Post by Schag »

Mr. Bucks better beagles,

Outstanding posts! Enjoyed the poem. You can't get an official measure on HEART! Thanks for the reading.

Mr.S.R. Patch,
I always enjoy your posts as well.

moonshinekennel

Post by moonshinekennel »

Just got back from a week of running in th U.P. We run national and state forest near trout lake mi. The running was spectcular. You must look for the type of cover that the hares like then hunt it.(mostly dark cedar that is not full of swamp). We had 12 hunters and shot 26 hares could have shot more.

Dale
Ensure the future of our sport, take a child hunting and fishing.

Moonshinekennel@hotmail.com

marr24

Post by marr24 »

Our crew will be up there next week. The island is always a good time. We don't usually do much in the way of killing, but always come back with a pile full of good times and memories! :nod: