Keep your hound at full speed

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Bopeye

Keep your hound at full speed

Post by Bopeye »

The last year that I was really able to run dogs, before I hurt my back, I used a little mix that really kept my dogs at top notch. Most of you know that when you run your dogs hard they can really start getting poor looking. This is what I used to help keep my up to snuff. Can't remember where I got the recipe, but it worked.
Just don't feed too much as it will put weight back on them fast. Too much weight is worse than not enough as we all know.

The Recipe for keeping dogs top notch.
Ingredients:

10 pounds hamburger meat (cheap and fatty)
1 large box of Total cereal
1 large box of regular oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup of molasses (I found a guy around here that made molasses and it seemed to be better than store bought)
10 raw eggs (shells and all)
10 packs of regular gelatin
1 Tbs. of Flaxseed oil
Dab of salt

Mix all the ingredients real good together and it will look like a messed up meatloaf.
I rolled them into golf ball sized balls and kept them in the freezer.
When I had a dog getting too skinny, sluggish, or just plain out poor looking and I knew they were free of worms and parasites. I would unthaw a few of these balls and feed it to them for as at least a few days until I saw them start getting their shine and fire back.
They dogs love it and will eat it all if you let them.

Just wanted to share this for the new guys that might be having a hard time keeping enough weight on their hounds. If you run them like they should be run, then this will be a problem at times.
I know some folks absolutely refuse to feed their dogs anything raw and that's okay. I didn't put this down to argue with anyone. Just give it a try if you like or don't. Up to you. I wish I could remember who I got this recipe from, it might have even been someone from here......can't remember. :biggrin:
Even if it was, this is a good reminder. ;)
Coyote problems? Can't fix it with western tactics. Here ya go. http://www.easterncoyotes.com/
You can find me and other Prostaff here. http://www.easterncoyotes.com/prostaff

Bunnyblaster

Re: Keep your hound at full speed

Post by Bunnyblaster »

Thanks Bopeye, I just printed that off so I could put it in my beagle folder for future reference. I may even get on making some now to freeze like you said so I have them for this winter.

Two questions though........what is the gelatin??? and how big of a jar of wheat germ do I use???
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

madcatter

Post by madcatter »

i feed raw
my hounds get some nasty crap,runny turd from ground beef,i mostly give chicken--leg quarters are on sale for 49 cent a pound-
problems folks will runinto feeding raw is you need to balance phousphorus/calcium
if you arnet giving calcium in form of bone,you will need to supplement for best health.

here is a good site to see what the values of ingredients of raw diets are.
http://www.nutritiondata.com/
http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/Pro ... efault.htm

Bopeye

Post by Bopeye »

I found gelatin in the cooking aisles. The jar of wheat germ I would buy is about the size of a small jar of mayo. Not sure what size that is, but we didn't really have a lot of choices.

I never had any trouble with my dogs getting the runs, but I didn't try and replace their diet with it either. I always kept a fresh supply of the big beef bones in with them for two reasons.
1. Satisfies their need to chew.
2. They would usually chew it up and give them extra calcium.

I usually fed them some sort of dog food that did NOT have the first ingredient being corn. I looked for the first ingredient to be some kind of meat.
Corn based dog foods just made for large, messy stools. Basically corn is a filler and I wanted the dogs to be able to utilize as much of their food as possible.

As I said earlier. That recipe was used to add some weight back on to run down dogs or occasionally I would get one that didn't feel good and would go off it's food.
This little beef based recipe would rarely get turned down though and they would start feeling better.

You can try this recipe or not. It makes no difference to me as it won't benefit me one way or the other. Just trying to help out some. Don't knock it until you try it.
If your dogs cannot handle it, then by all means don't feed it to them. :bigsmile:
Coyote problems? Can't fix it with western tactics. Here ya go. http://www.easterncoyotes.com/
You can find me and other Prostaff here. http://www.easterncoyotes.com/prostaff

madcatter

Post by madcatter »

i think the reason i get the runny stool is cause i dont add cereals,i try and put vegatables in for the minerals they get from the cereal that you use,that would be a thing i will try when the neighbors garden runs empty.lol
i like fresh greens mixed in,it has a washing effect for thier teeth and some raw feeders dogs teeth will begin to suffer in a 5 year period if to many nawing bones are left around.i keep the chicken bones in the raw,as long as they are raw they are soft and no problem.

my dogs are just real sensitive to beef it seems.
here is a pic of a feed a couple weeks ago,i like the fact that i control the dogs feed and not a company,its more work,about 10 minutes a day made fresh,but i usually make a big batch of stuff and then freeze into 8or 10 patties,on warm summer days its like a meatsickle.
egg with shell
yogurt
chicken leg with bone
green pepper
fish oil
chicken hearts,livers
cucumber slices
salt

i will use the cereal in the winter more,right now its fresh veggies lol
this fed three dogs and had enough left over for 1 next day

Nor' Easter

Post by Nor' Easter »

I've read elsewhere that veggies need to be pureed to get anything out of them for a dog, makes sense. It was a very informative site on Raw meat diet.

SHAWN G.

Post by SHAWN G. »

it makes perfect sense, look at what the idiotrode sled dog guys feed,all ground beef based meats and fat frozen mixed with hot water and some fish, thats what they feed year around, and i gaurantee none of us run our dogs as much as these guys do, good thought bopeye....
FASTTRAC KENNEL

LPRC FastTrac Big Sarge
LPRC FastTrac Tucson
LPRBCH FastTrac Stretch
LPRBCH FastTrac Family Jewel
Where Beagles Not Only Run To Chase
But Run To Catch

MossMan

Post by MossMan »

madcatter wrote:i think the reason i get the runny stool is cause i dont add cereals,i try and put vegatables in for the minerals they get from the cereal that you use,that would be a thing i will try when the neighbors garden runs empty.lol
i like fresh greens mixed in,it has a washing effect for thier teeth and some raw feeders dogs teeth will begin to suffer in a 5 year period if to many nawing bones are left around.i keep the chicken bones in the raw,as long as they are raw they are soft and no problem.

my dogs are just real sensitive to beef it seems.
here is a pic of a feed a couple weeks ago,i like the fact that i control the dogs feed and not a company,its more work,about 10 minutes a day made fresh,but i usually make a big batch of stuff and then freeze into 8or 10 patties,on warm summer days its like a meatsickle.
egg with shell
yogurt
chicken leg with bone
green pepper
fish oil
chicken hearts,livers
cucumber slices
salt

i will use the cereal in the winter more,right now its fresh veggies lol
this fed three dogs and had enough left over for 1 next day

Do take all that and put it in a blender?

tiffinis

Post by tiffinis »

That recipe is similar to what we make called Satin Balls. I use it mostly as a restorative. From running or a bitch in whelp that is not doing well or a rescue that is in serious shape. A couple after each hunt helps give back what they have lost. But these things can add body fat FAST!!
Patch Addict

dave g

Post by dave g »

if you ever want to feed a kibble that is just as good as feeding raw try feeding EVO. it is great. if i had more than one beagle i probably couldnt afford it though. it could probably be used as a restorative feed also. or if you going away from home running overnight and didnt want to take up cooler space with the raw.

later, dave

wildcatfan0309

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

:lol:
beleive ill just stick with pro plan
but if i ever get one down ive copied your recipe

MasonsBeagles

Post by MasonsBeagles »

where do you get that big of a bottle of fish oil? Id like to buy it that size.
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

I can't seem to find fish oil period........ :mad2:
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

tiffinis

Post by tiffinis »

Fish oil is usually in the vitamin section at walmart!
Patch Addict

cspot

Post by cspot »

Bopeye,

If feeding no kibble, how long would that recipe feed one dog. Just curious on what it would cost per meal.