Best Rabbit Hunting Guns

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Ky. Hunter

Re: Best Rabbit Hunting Guns

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I like my 20 ga Franchi auto feather weight. It is light and shoulders good and I can carry it all day easy. I have also killed a rabbit with it with one hand and 3 dogs on the lead lunging at a rabbit in the other hand. :nod:

madcatter

Post by madcatter »

i agree with the thompson 410
mine is the g2 contender,keeps both hands free to drink coffee,eat donuts,talk on phone,you know,modern day hunting.lol
as for those that think its to light,here is a clip.just count my steps after the shot.the dogs flushed this and i got lucky(again)this were some put together from last season.

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

Rem 870 pump.Great rabbit gun.

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

madcatter, I know this was brought up a little while ago and I may have even asked you but I'll ask again. Did you compare yours to the supercomanche and if so what did you think.......good and bad. I ask because I bought the comanche and while I'm not super impressed with it, so far for the money I'm happy with it.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

hogbody

Post by hogbody »

I have a Mossberg 500 20 ga. pump. Put a sling on it. It comes with 3 choke tubes. Inexpensive , but reliable gun. I'm left handed so I like the thumb safety. Id like to have a Rem 870, but don't like the trigger guard safety
I live back in the woods you see, my woman and the kids and the dogs and me.

dogwhisperer

Post by dogwhisperer »

madcatter wrote:i agree with the thompson 410
mine is the g2 contender,keeps both hands free to drink coffee,eat donuts,talk on phone,you know,modern day hunting.lol
as for those that think its to light,here is a clip.just count my steps after the shot.the dogs flushed this and i got lucky(again)this were some put together from last season.
how did you mount your camera for hands free
HOF COMP HOF REP GRRCH GRBCH TURBO POWERED BY TURBO
GRRCH BCH POOR BOY POWERED HANK
GRRCH BCH SUGARRUN TRIPLE X
RCH SUGARRUN EARTH RATLIN RUBY
RCH SUGARRUN ROCK-N-ROOSTER
RCH BURR OAK SUZIE

Mike Gibeaut

Post by Mike Gibeaut »

Charles Daly 28 Gauge Synthetic Stock.Light Weight And Affordable,I Got Mine At Wally World
Mike Gibeaut
Listen to your Dogs With Your Ears Watch Them With Your Eyes Leave your Ego At Home

bluerunner43

Post by bluerunner43 »

if i use a shotgun its a H&R 20 ga single shot but thats only on hare once in awhile, rest of the time i use a ruger .22 pistol with 5 1/2 in barrel i got 2 rabbits last year and i shot probably close to 1000 rounds its a blast i only shoot at them when they are running so i dont have to clean many.

Hippy

Post by Hippy »

Another vote for the T/C in 410. The 14" is a little heavier BUT much easier on the ears and easier to carry. I have a Uncle Mike's shoulder holster and that way both my hands are free to do other things.

Thanx,
Jim ;)
"Today is the 1st DAY,of the rest of your Life"

APFII

Post by APFII »

28ga in a light double. :D

barnold1

Post by barnold1 »

I go for the Franchi 620; 24" barrel and under 6 lbs is never a problem to pack and gives me quick follow-up to that warm up shot. Definitely my favorite shotgun and one of my favorites overall!
LP GRRCH HICKTOWN HANKY PANKY
FCGD LP GRRCH LP BCH HICKTOWN WAILIN JOSIE
LP RCH OVER DA TOP MACI

RIP LP RCH PP RCH HICKTOWN TICKLE ME WILLIE

MikeSmithWV

Post by MikeSmithWV »

I too have more fun hunting with my Thompson Encore 410 with a 15" barrel. I kinda miss a lot but I have connected on some long shots also. I prefer 6 shot.
"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

I have a 12 and 20 guage, both mossberg pumps, inexpensive and the first thing I do is cut the barrel around 22". Not a high dollar gun and if you scratch it up in the briers, no harm done. Clean it occasionally and hit the cutover. The short, open barrel rarely puts more than 3/4 shot in the rabbit. I aim right out front of rabbit, sometimes I don't put ant shot in but never destroy the rabbit, of course I don't shoot many anyway.

madcatter

Post by madcatter »

bunnyblaster--my buddy(cspot on this board)had a commanche,it worked for hunting,i only shot it once i think.the 10 barrel has just as much muzzle blast as a t/c...
the trigger pull was never consistent(so i have heard)it was what it was,for the money it was solid,but the big blade sight blkinded anything you may try and put it on.he killed plenty of rabbits with it.we swapped one day on a rabbit and he shot it dead with the t/c.he sold the commanche and bought a g2.if he reads this he may reply,but he liked the difference to spend the cash and get the tc .it was plenty good to hunt with,but limited to only 45/410 may have been a reason for him to purchased the tc.quality wise there must be a difference,but to only shoot at small game animals,its fine.i like my tc better but if someone was looking for a 410 handgun and didnt have the tc kinda cash its one of the only choices and will do for plenty of years.
shot pattern waise the are probably close to identical

the camera is this one---
http://www.vio-pov.com/
it just rides on the tops of a billed hat,or gunmount accessory.
after reviewing plenty of hands free cameras i went with this one,there is a youtube video were a guy reveiws 7 different hands free ones from 75-600 bucks,is good info if you beleive what his opinions are,just do a youtube search on hands free camcorders to find.

dogwhisperer

Post by dogwhisperer »

thanks madcatter greatly appericate the info
HOF COMP HOF REP GRRCH GRBCH TURBO POWERED BY TURBO
GRRCH BCH POOR BOY POWERED HANK
GRRCH BCH SUGARRUN TRIPLE X
RCH SUGARRUN EARTH RATLIN RUBY
RCH SUGARRUN ROCK-N-ROOSTER
RCH BURR OAK SUZIE