Pups that you don't want.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Spruce Ridge Beagler

Re: Pups that you don't want.

Post by Spruce Ridge Beagler »

I know a guy in Gowen that can take that dog for you. As mentioned before, if your willing to make a cross you MUST also be willing to cull ! If you give the dog away then the next guy is just gonna breed and pass on inferior genes as well. IF you give him away make sure he is fixed !!
Good luck with him, Dave
SUCCESS- When preparation and opportunity cross paths!

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

Bunnyblaster:

Check my post on "Selling Dogs". It was a challenge to get it done but, I met some nice people and the pup has a good home now where someone will appreciate him.

Bob-Michigan

bucks better beagles

Spruce Ridge said: " As mentioned before, if your willing to make a cross you MUST also be willing to cull ! If you give the dog away then the next guy is just gonna breed and pass on inferior genes as well. IF you give him away make sure he is fixed !!"

While I agree with his premise, this dog sounds like he may have some hope and giving him to someone may save him. I thought about taking on the challenge myself but, I had to give one away to get down on my pack. Culling is the absolute last step for me. There are many people (or so I would like to think), that would be able to make something of this young dog.

Bob

JStorer

Post by JStorer »

Around here culling is almost not nessisary. Unless the hound is looony or really messed up conformation wise it is not hard to find a pet home for them. We have local buy and sell magazines and papers that are free to list a pet for sale or free pet in and it is ussually gone to a good home with in a week. I wouldnt give the papers with it and I would strongly urge the new owner to spay-snipe there new pet.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

No call for the puppy burger comment , way out of line jmho
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

buffett

Post by buffett »

Spruce Ridge Beagler wrote: As mentioned before, if your willing to make a cross you MUST also be willing to cull ! If you give the dog away then the next guy is just gonna breed and pass on inferior genes as well. IF you give him away make sure he is fixed !!
Good luck with him, Dave
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and also may appear to contradict myself! Let me preface this with the fact that I have many more years of scyanmatific edumacation than I do beagle breeding per se.
Having said that, I believe you have at least as good of a chance of producing a line of quality beagles from a "cull" of quality breeding as you do from breeding to the vast majority of the studs advertised in the major hound magazines these days. The VAST (I'd guess 90+%) of the FC studs advertised have almost no extended history of producing like and there are far more unheralded dams and sires with the same breeding that will throw the same or better pups more consistantly.
I have a young female in my kennel now who is more than likely a cull about 7 generations back. Her sire and dam produced what may be the best rabbit hound I've seen......you wouldn't recognize a name in the first 6 generations of her pedigree but from there back it is jaw-dropping.
Having said that.....Cull hard and often is the best philosophy but don't be surprised if a savvy breeder takes your cull and produces a line better than your own!

Mike Gibeaut

Post by Mike Gibeaut »

There A Lot Of People Who Would Take Unwanted Beagle Pups As Pets.My Wife's Aunt And Uncle In Florida Just Lost Their Beagle After 14 Years.No Dog Ever Had It So Gooooood.Believe Me Who Ever Is The Lucky Dog To Go To This Home Will Be LOVED And Treated The Best.I Think This Is A Way Of Not Doing Harm But Helping A Dog.
Mike Gibeaut
Listen to your Dogs With Your Ears Watch Them With Your Eyes Leave your Ego At Home

big mike 50

Post by big mike 50 »

I agree with jump dog that was out of line. As for the pup I would have to believe that someone out there would take him, be it an old couple looking for a pet or a young poor beagler looking for a challenge.
When the tailgate drops the bull$#!t stops

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I will agree to with jump dog.Be careful at what you say on here.I know yall don t mean nothing and you are good guys too.But there are some out there would like to here this so they can close my rabbit pens.Thanks.

bucks better beagles

PUPPY BUGERS? Come on. Surely, that was a joke. Not to be taken seriously. Tell me it was. Maybe it is just a metaphor for something.

buffett

Post by buffett »

No takers on this discussion?
buffett wrote:
Spruce Ridge Beagler wrote: As mentioned before, if your willing to make a cross you MUST also be willing to cull ! If you give the dog away then the next guy is just gonna breed and pass on inferior genes as well. IF you give him away make sure he is fixed !!
Good luck with him, Dave
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and also may appear to contradict myself! Let me preface this with the fact that I have many more years of scyanmatific edumacation than I do beagle breeding per se.
Having said that, I believe you have at least as good of a chance of producing a line of quality beagles from a "cull" of quality breeding as you do from breeding to the vast majority of the studs advertised in the major hound magazines these days. The VAST (I'd guess 90+%) of the FC studs advertised have almost no extended history of producing like and there are far more unheralded dams and sires with the same breeding that will throw the same or better pups more consistantly.
I have a young female in my kennel now who is more than likely a cull about 7 generations back. Her sire and dam produced what may be the best rabbit hound I've seen......you wouldn't recognize a name in the first 6 generations of her pedigree but from there back it is jaw-dropping.
Having said that.....Cull hard and often is the best philosophy but don't be surprised if a savvy breeder takes your cull and produces a line better than your own!

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Its easy to give away a little cute, cuddly young pup.

Hard to cull after they are big and running. Since you are scientific minded, the local hospital takes grown dogs and uses them to try to save humans lives. They buy them at trade days around here. Interesting to hear how good they are at running and hunting, gun dogs par excellent during the day and when they leave, take them to the $5.00 hospital wagon.

Brian Westra

Post by Brian Westra »

Try craigslist

beaglecrazy-scott

Post by beaglecrazy-scott »

i have a male litter mate to this male in the post...he is a well started rabbit dog.....hunts good , great line control, and has a nice mouth...anyone wanting to see him start at 5 months old go under advanced search , type in beaglecrazy-scott in the author......i bought 2 of them and both opened on track at 5 months old ......i think he would probably start if givin more of a chance .....different dogs start at different times and ages.......good luck