Anybody Familiar With A Dog Having Seizures?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

hoosierhillskennel

Anybody Familiar With A Dog Having Seizures?

Post by hoosierhillskennel »

Me and a Buddy Went running today after work ran for two hours they prolly ran for an hour and a half spent the other thirty minutes hunting and getting water but any how we caught the hounds leashed them up headed them towards water. watered them then headed toward the truck we got to the truck i put my dog in the box and me and my buddy sat there talking for maybe ten minutes and my dog started having seizures we rushed him to the vet and by the time we got there he had snapped out of it his kidneys checked out good as well as his other organs doesnt have anything wrong with him he is healthy does anyone have an explanation or have heard of this before????
"The Talk Stops When The Tailgate Drops!!!"

deadeyebeagle

Re: Anybody Familiar With A Dog Having Seizures?

Post by deadeyebeagle »

when i was about 14 a buddy of mine went hunting with his uncle.dogs ran a rabbit right to me and i shot it well his uncles dog started flipping around like a fish out of water my buddy said man you shot my uncles dog right when i started freeking out :angry: telling them the dogs wernt in my path he said man im just messing with you he has seizures.what a pal lol but from what i remember he hunted the dog alot he jumped up that day and kept hunting
DEADEYES POACHER

TC

Post by TC »

Adam Could be low blood Sugar..
Have you Changed Feed recently??
I have one that has them every now and again I usually Carry a small package of honey With me when I run her.
If you give them a small amount just before Running it Sometimes helps.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

It was not pretty at all
it happened a good 20 min after we was done running
Adam I hope all is well
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

hoosierhillskennel

Yeah chubbs is doing fine now that ol pumpkin head i just wish i knew what was causing it you know i think it might have been that nasty water they were drinking but tag was fine so what does honey do exactly when you give it to the dogs i mean is it for their sugar level??? because they said everything looked good his glucose and his white/red cell count

sgc

Post by sgc »

I had a male beagle that had 2 seizures that I saw, in his life. I think some beagles are prone to this, a genetic thing. I remember he had his coming up to me when he saw I was handing out bisquits. He took a step or 2 towards me and then it hit him. It was almost like the excitement was too much for him.

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I have a buddy that has a dog that has seizures and he carries a honey bun or some kind of cake in his hunting coat all time now and every now and then he will call her to him and give her a piece and it seems to stop her from having the seizures. He was told that her blood sugar gets low after she hunts a long time.

B-man

Post by B-man »

My male Gunner just started having seizures. They ran some tests and have concluded that it is epilepsy. It is more common than most people think. My vet said that for most dogs it developes between 2.5-6 years of age. The seizures were 2 months apart, so we don't have him on meds, but if they become frequent (1-2 per month) we plan to medicate. It sounds like the meds are $20-30 month given 2X/day.

How old is your dog?

Here is some info that may pertain to your dog's condition. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 05&aid=433

dave5050

Post by dave5050 »

i had a female that started having seizures when she was about 4.took her to the vet ,said it was probably low blood sugar,or could be epilepsy.he said he could run test's to see if it is epilepsy ,not uncommon for beagles .after that i started giving her a little debbie oatmeal cake everytime before we ran,and she didn't have anymore that i know of.every time she had one i had to put her in the box for the rest of the day because it wiped her out.

hoosierhillskennel

yeah thats the way it did this male he acted like it just wore him out completely see come to find out now that the dog has a bladder infection and was very dehydrated which i did not know at the time when i went to ran him or he would have stayed in the kennel could this have caused it?? see the vet said she didnt think he had epilepsy or anything like that but she did say it is very common in beagles to have seizures and whats weird after he had the seizure he was completely fine just acted really tired and she also said his sugar looked very normal as did everything else so thats why im starting to think he was just sick, he is on atiboitics now and is layed up until the world if he's even healty enough to run in it this year but see the weird thing is ive had this dog for three years now and he has never once ever done this for me nor the guy that owned him before me its very weird to say he least

tiffinis

Post by tiffinis »

we had a golden retriever/irish setter mix that used to get seizures. We put him on the meds and it helped but didn't make them go away completely. He lived to be an old dog.
Patch Addict