NO-MO dog de-wormer?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Nor' Easter

NO-MO dog de-wormer?

Post by Nor' Easter »

What's anyones experience with NO-MO dog de-wormer? I've heard dogs have had bad reactions to it. I'm asking as I have a small box I got free, and want to use it, but if it's going to make the dogs sick I may just toss it out and get better stuff.

Pete Tuck

Re: NO-MO dog de-wormer?

Post by Pete Tuck »

I used to use it with no bad reactions. It works pretty good. I thought they had gone out of business or something like that. We can't get them anymore around here. I believe it only gets the tapeworms if I remember correctly.
Cedar Row Beagles
LPRCH Mike's Ace in the Hole
LPRCH Cedar Row Harley

pine top

Post by pine top »

we use no-mo's me and my running Buddy's with great results had no problems got all kinds of worms one of my buddy's bought some new dogs and wormed with no-mo;s man you should have seen the worms come out of those dogs i say hit them with it .

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

I,ve used it its not a dewormer its an expeller,it don't kill the eggs. Its harsh,if you use it use as directed,I've seen dogs get sick from it. Drontel plus costs more but gets all worms except heart worms,and is much safer. I don't use it anymore and I can still get it,I would rather use Drontel or safeguard. jmo
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. "Benjamin Franklin" 1759

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

It is not a wormer, it is an expeller.
It expels eveything from the bowels, if worms are there - they are coming out too.

This does a good job of getting rid of adult worms that live in the bowels. If you have a dog that is infested, it may be a good option. Because a dog that as infested may take several rounds of worming 2 weeks apart to get rid of them.

No-mo does nothing to kill worm larvae in the bloodstream, or elsewhere in the body.
So the result is that you clean the adult worms from the bowels, then a month or so later the larvae in the blood stream or elsewhere in the body mature and move to the bowels.

Just remember No-mo is not a wormer - it even says on the box it is an expeller.
You need something that contains praziquantel to kill tapeworms (and larvae).
A good general wormer will contain fenbendazole (safeguard and panacur), though it won't get rid of tapeworms.
There are other chemicals that will kill worms, but the two I listed are the most common.

Nor' Easter

Post by Nor' Easter »

Hmmm, kind of a toss up here. Yes I forgot to say that it's an expeller. I have a 5 month old that has ate some fresh hare, I don't think I'll use it on her. As far as the 2 year old I'm still on the fence with it. I have to get a bunch of other tape worm pills soon anyway.

Big River Beagles S

Post by Big River Beagles S »

Silver zuk, Panacur and safegaurd are both good for tapes according to the 5 or 6 different vets I have talked to over the years. my nephew is in vet school right know and we were talking about wormer he said safegaurd or panacur is the best broad spectrum wormer on the market for dogs, used 1 cc per 5 pds three to five days in a row . Then again 14 to 17 days later if you know the dog was infested to get all the eggs especially if dealing with hook worms

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

I give Safeguard once every 3 months 4 day in a row I don't have trouble with tapes. I use Ivomec every month. 2 times a year I use Drontal Plus,the Hounds stay healthy and have nice coats.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. "Benjamin Franklin" 1759

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I used to use no-mo but I can't get it anymore but I used it with good results and didn't have any draw backs from it and yes it will expell the worms from the bowels. If a dog is infested with worms you will find a pile of them the next day after using the no-mo but I would always do a follow up on them a week later if they showed any worms in their stools after I used the no-mo. I wish I could still get it.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

What Silverzuk said is right on.I work on x-ray equipment and have 14 vets. as customers and we talk frequently when i'm in there and they say the same as silverzuk.No real use expelling the worm if your not killing him off and he just comes back. Drontal is very good.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

thornie

Post by thornie »

I bought my wormer from Chip Esenihut, am very pleased with it. It gets all worms except heart worms.
To old to cut the mustard, you can always run beagles