Going to registered hounds in the future

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

arkyhunter

Going to registered hounds in the future

Post by arkyhunter »

I've been running grade hounds since i started in beagling, but sometime in the future i'd like to get into some AKC trials. So i want to go to all registered dogs sometime. There are a couple of UBGF clubs nearby, and some UKC and ARHA clubs. I would like to go to a line of hounds that aren't so common around where i live, and thought i would look into the Blackcreek and In-line Blackjack lines, could any of you fellas tell me a little about these lines, like their speed, hunt, etc.? Any info on some of the other lines would be appreciated too.

PS- i do have one AKC, mostly Branko lines, so i know a little about Brankos already. Thanks.
Black River Beagles

Triple L Beagler

Re: Going to registered hounds in the future

Post by Triple L Beagler »

the black creek hound down south here are walkie talkie type hound .their run in spo down here .not sure about the other.
http://www.triplelbeagles.com

Where would we all be if the people before us would have just settled for a good dog.

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

Look at the Run m' Over Tank breeding or the PA style dogs. I think you would like them.

Charles Philpot

Post by Charles Philpot »

I think UBGF trails runs some very good dogs, I judged some Fun Trails and attended a few AKC lic trails. I like the way these dogs can run a rabbit and they know where the stopping point is. Have seen some Black Jack (Otis) breeding run and they are rabbit dogs. They seem to have hunt, desire and can still run a rabbit right way.
All-Terrain Beagles

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

The Blackjack breeding would probably suit you well for the UBGF trials but would probably not be competitive in the UKC and ARHA formats. Your Branko dog shoul do okay in them but would probably get picked up for being too competitive and "running too much rabbit" at the UBGF trials.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

arkyhunter

Post by arkyhunter »

Thanks, i'm new to the trialing thing, due to work, so i don't really know what i'm asking i guess! :???: So does UKC and ARHA run a "faster" style hound? Or what is the main difference? I suggested the Blackcreek and Black Jack lines since i've heard local guys talk about them. I'd like to know more about what lines produce solid med. speed hounds with good line control, the five hounds i own all vary a little in speed, etc. so i'm just looking to build a pack that are all mainly from good solid med. speed lines. Thanks, everyone's input would be appreciated.
Black River Beagles

thornie

Post by thornie »

Arkyhunter, if you like the dogs that you have, use them as a guide, to what you want from a registered dog. You can also register your dogs UKC and ARHA. Go to some of the trials and see what style your dogs would run the best in. As far as breeding no one can really tell you what is the best, everyone has their own opion on what they like. There are so many formats, that you could run a different dog at a different style hunt and still not be satisfied. :D
To old to cut the mustard, you can always run beagles

FullCircle

Post by FullCircle »

Arkyhunter, You might try posting your question on the SPO board. Try thespoboard.com and they will help you answer any questions you may have about that type of dog. Several on that site hunt the lines you mentioned.