Beagles fight'in threw fences

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

WrongsideRandy

Beagles fight'in threw fences

Post by WrongsideRandy »

:mad: I have 3 male beagles 2 kenneled together the other kenneled alone beside them,,,well 2 of my males like to fight threw the fence,,,they will grab whatever they can of each other as they pass each other threw the fence...well yest morn.. Ace got Buddy's ear threw the fence and took a pretty good piece of it.....Why do beages fight like this,,,I can see pitbulls rotts, etc....not beagles? any advice on how we can ALL just get-along?All I can think is why are guys fightin' .....you have all the food,water,bones,love,shelter,,, everything!!! and this is the respect you give me? Thanks....Shannon..p.s I have moved the males way apart from one another now!

JUDE

fighting

Post by JUDE »

I have no idea what makes them fight like that but a few good shocks might settle them down ?
I'm sure others will soon give you better advice :cool:

Buddy
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

TC

Post by TC »

I have no idea what makes them fight like that but a few good shocks might settle them down ?
I'm sure others will soon give you better advice

Buddy
JUDE, this in a lot of ways will increase the problem, the dog that wants to be dominant over the one that has the dominance will think he won, when the one that has the dominance may think he is being wrongly punished and will increase the problem.

Beagles are like elephants and hold a grudge, if one does something to another and they feel wronged they are mad at them for life. They will walk by the pen and tell them off so to speak on their way by. Some are jealous too, you will notice one gets to go out to solo and the other is mad at that dog when he gets back, thinking he is getting special treatment.

Evidently they have an old grudge going there. Either that or one has not established complete pack dominance and the other is trying to take the pack dominance so to speak from the other.

Beagles have a very long memory when feeling wronged for some reason they get a silly notion in their head and it stays there.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

JUDE

TC

Post by JUDE »

TC , what would you do in his situation ?

Thank you ,
Buddy
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

WrongsideRandy

Post by WrongsideRandy »

TC..... YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!! They do hold grudges! And mine do have good memories....I have seen what your speaking of,,,I had males kenneled together years ago and learned the hard way,,some dont get along,,some do,,,but when you put 2 togther together that did'nt get along then...THEY still don't now,,,LOL,,,thanks for all of your help...any more ideas would be most helpful!Shannon

TC

Post by TC »

Just do what you did, separate them by one more pen. They will run fine together it is just when they get in the same pen or beside each other in a pen that they seem to antagonize each other. No amount of human intervention besides getting rid of one will solve their issues, and if you got two that you really like then the only other option is to separate them by another pen.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

ANTHONY KERR

Post by ANTHONY KERR »

I think the jealousy problem is a big one. I have two alpha type females that attack the fence to get at each other. If one gets to go solo the other gets hacked off real bad. Neither one bothers their pen mates they just don't like each other.In the field together there is no problem when they're with a pack. I braced them when they were younger and the youngest of the two might have given the older one all she could handle the first time out together. One is wide and quick and when smelling is good she can shine. The older one is more careful and snaps back. I think most of their problems go back to this run where the smelling conditions were good and they got a big running rabbit that they smoked, but the pecking order was no longer clear. Maybe my actions towards them changed and they picked up on it.
I have another female that gets depressed when she has to stay at home. You would think that she could'nt get up off the ground until you open the pen door.
Last edited by ANTHONY KERR on Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where's the earth shattering kaboom ?

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

fence fighting is a big problem here as well. I get so frustrated!! Yet those same dogs can be in a run or a yard together and be fine. Seperate them by a thin fence and its ON! I also had one male get the ear of another through a kennel run and it wasn't pretty! Now if they are fighting I put them together and its funny but, they don't do it anymore.

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

wvbill

Post by wvbill »

Put them together!!!

But make sure you supervise it.

I have two females that are Alpha's you put them together and you just might of rung a bell for round 1. Although it will take about a half a day but they realize where each one of them stands with the other. They are usually pretty good to go after that. But I have to deal with it everytime one of them gets put back in the kennel.

They run good together, they just dont like the same pen as each other.

If they didnt finally settle down I would consider putting shockers or bark collars on each one of them. When they started they would get a nice little tingle. I am sure after a few of those they just might consider it is not worth it. If they kept it up I would just increase the stimulation.

At my kennel I am the Alpha. If I can not break it they will be sold to someone else who can deal with it.

APFII

Post by APFII »

My take on dogs getting into it through the kennel fence . It is a terratorial dispute. Most dogs and people are protective of their domain.Some you can stop by letting them know Alpha dog ( you ) will not put up with it,some you can just not trust .

S.R.Patch

Re: Beagles fight'in threw fences

Post by S.R.Patch »

WrongsideRandy wrote::mad: I have 3 male beagles 2 kenneled together the other kenneled alone beside them,,,well 2 of my males like to fight threw the fence,,,they will grab whatever they can of each other as they pass each other threw the fence...well yest morn.. Ace got Buddy's ear threw the fence and took a pretty good piece of it.....Why do beages fight like this,,,I can see pitbulls rotts, etc....not beagles? any advice on how we can ALL just get-along?All I can think is why are guys fightin' .....you have all the food,water,bones,love,shelter,,, everything!!! and this is the respect you give me? Thanks....Shannon..p.s I have moved the males way apart from one another now!
To follow your theme of just giving your opinion,

"WrongsideRandy

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:22 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes! the sentence was mine.....I just thought article from cnn website would be interesting to some people,,I simply said how I feel,,,,It's up to others to choose how they feel,,,,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reserve your love for your children and treat your dogs...well, like dogs.
One is seperate from the other two, why?

CAINCUTTER

Post by CAINCUTTER »

I never had much of a problem with my hounds fighting through the fence, but have had them chew on each others collars and chew the rabies tags off each other... I installed a sheet of tin on the bottom half of each pannel that seperates each run..... This took care of the problem...seems that would prevent fights as well....
CAINCUTTER: Rabbit Hunter Ex-Straw-D-Nair
Saucier Ms. Home Of Some Of The South's Finest Lemon and White and Red and White Beagles.
http://www.geocities.com/pawpawskennels/

kybeagler

Post by kybeagler »

Electricity should do it. Or good whooping.

dannycrlsn

Post by dannycrlsn »

I agree with TC separate them by one pen. Wha tI do is alternate a run of females between 2 runs with males

BradWV

Post by BradWV »

kybeagler wrote:Electricity should do it. Or good whooping.
I had to try the last part of KYBeaglers suggestion one time and have not had a problem since.