"RUNNING TOO MUCH RABBIT"?????????????????????

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

hillbilly

"RUNNING TOO MUCH RABBIT"?????????????????????

Post by hillbilly »

O.K. I THINK THE GUY THAT TOLD ME THIS WAS MEANING IT IN A DIFFERENT WAY THAN I TOOK IT... BUT I REALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO TAKE IT.... ANYWAY I LIKE MY DOGS AND LIKE HOW THEY RUN I WANT THEM TO TRY TO CATCH EVERY RABBIT THEY RUN AND SURE THEY WILL OVER RUN IT SOMETIMES BUT THAT GIVES ME A CHANCE TO SEE THEM TAKE OFF LIKE A ROCKET WHEN THEY FIND THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS THAT MAY BE RUNNING TO MUCH RABBIT OR MAYBE THIS OLE HILLBILLY JUST DOES'T HAVE AN IDEAL WHAT A RABBIT DOG IS SUPPOSE TO DO

:???:
As you have the opportunity, do good to all men, especially those of the household of faith.

Chain rock

Post by Chain rock »

Hillbilly, You know what you like , stick with- it. Rufus has some pictures to show you from the hunt we had today over in Rocky-Top land. Hunted from 9:30 to 1:30 with Eddio and Scott, jumped 22 killed 13, I ran cam corder most of the day had pounded runnin, what a way to call it a year. Hope he gets picture posted. Need to come back in for a hunt when you get time. Keep after'em!

PREACHERS KENNEL

gh.,j

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

yes hillybilly thye were doin that i am sure,,, u got to straddle that track,, no hook and look dogs allowed .. no swing cutting or slashing ,,,they got to line up slot up and run the track....NOW DONT THAT SOUND PLUM BOREING LOL!i keep my dogs they do run a descent line but with power!! and might i add excitement!
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

SouthernBeagles

Re: "RUNNING TOO MUCH RABBIT"?????????????????????

Post by SouthernBeagles »

ROFL Hillbilly WHO told you that??? HAD to be an AKC guy! Some of them fella's see horse power and panic! Feed what you like and take it as a compliment. ;) Atleast you was RUNNING rabbit :D
PM me the name if you don't want to put it out there, LOL.
Don't squat with your spurs on!

mur the bear

Post by mur the bear »

"runnin to much rabbit "is the same as "having to much fun".No such thing
It is just a way for a guy to say "my dogs can't keep up"
Show me the bunny!

houndsound

Post by houndsound »

As long as they usually make the rabbit go in a circle, doesn't matter how much rabbit they run. I like em' to go as fast as possible, without making checks that they can't pick up. It ain't a race if they're walking! That said, a dog that creates a check every 10 seconds I don't like either.

dk
Esse quam Videri

Catfish

Post by Catfish »

Just think about this that SPEED KILLS. That's the phrase that I use when I tell guys what kind of dogs I like. I'm still looking for that dog that has the NITRO PACK ON IT'S BACK. Take care.

Catfish.
The best music is a pack of hounds pounding a rabbit track
R.ch Bad News Hunter
R.I.P. R.ch Haywood's come Back Kid
R.I.P Gr. R. Ch. Haywood's Precious Lady Garlick

Wilkerson Boys

Post by Wilkerson Boys »

Are you fellow's speaking of running solo? ;) Wayne
The truth will set you free.

Wilkerson Boys

Post by Wilkerson Boys »

Otherwise like Catfish said, "Speed Kills,"!!! I take it you mean kill the pack? lol Just messing around a little this morning. Have a nice day. ;) Wayne
The truth will set you free.

Hunter

Post by Hunter »

To me it sounds like arha..... The rules however stipulate that when a dog realizes he overrun a corner as long as he comes back to the check that is ok.(period) But somehow the chariman told me one day at a hunt that the allowable overrun distance before coming back was about 12 feet. This is the one who put people on probation for not "JUDGING BY THE RULES". You wont find any stated distance in their rule book though. Looks to me like the pot calling the kettle black. That being said I dont mind a dog that stops and comes back to the check just dont perfer one that arcs around to find it. I hope to have some good running later today. cya, Paul

mspaci

Post by mspaci »

To me guys that say the rabbit must be run just so are elitist or purists, what you might call beagle snobs. The way I figure it is if you like what ever dogs you have and are having alot of fun, then that is all that matters. Whatever dogs I have will die at my house. They dont go because they were swinging to wide one day or over ran a check on another. They are part of the family. Every dog has faults, even field or rabbit champs. This whole beagling thing is just supposed to be fun. Just my opinion. Mike

Pine Mt Beagles

RUNNING TO MUCH RABBIT

Post by Pine Mt Beagles »

I THINK THEM OLE DOGS JUST RUN TO MUCH RABBIT,,,,,,,,, FOR SURE YOU REALLY NEED TO BRING THEM BACK TO PINE MT .. :lol:

KEEP'EM RUNING
RUFUSImage
Last edited by Pine Mt Beagles on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

I belive the Old AKC SPO Trialers that ran UGBF style hounds used that term. There is no sucH term in the AKC rules. I know a few folks that think if you have a hound thats aggressive on track there not a Rabbit Hound,well I think there the best Rabbit Hounds unless you like to shoot Rabbits that hop slowly and still stay 100 yds or more ahead of the hounds. BOREING!!!
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. "Benjamin Franklin" 1759

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

I was told that once in a trial, as my hound was about 100 yards ahead of the pack when they picked him up. I was told that he was running too much rabbit, when I asked what that meant, I was told he wasn't running with the pack. I said the pack wasn't, or couldn't run with him. It was a AKC trial, the slower small pack, UBGF. I went to mid-west trials after that and was never told that again, in fact the mid-west guys laughted about it. So it's not AKC per say, just what style of AKC. I couldn't find it in the rule book either.

Swamp

buckridge

Running too much rabbit

Post by buckridge »

This saying " Running too much rabbit " is just an excuse for saying your dog can run a rabbit but not doing it with style.
This has been said to hundreds of guys over the past 30 years.
If you like what YOU have, keep them, dont let some judges tell you what they like.
You will learn what it takes to win certain trials, and if you do not like that type of dog, just do not enter those type of trials.

Hang in there!!!