Pups eyes watering???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

J Rooster

Pups eyes watering???

Post by J Rooster »

I have a 5 month old pup and his eyes are always watering. Has anyone seen this before and is it something to worry about?

J Rooster

show dog

Post by show dog »

Has the dog been running in the weeds? Are his eyes pink? What colour is running? Both eyes? Crusty in morning? Irritated and scratching? Dogs should not have runny eyes. He may have an infection like pink eye or a reaction to something in food or environment. More information please. Carolyn

J Rooster

Post by J Rooster »

Both eyes are watering. It is clear and he hasn't been running in the weeds. I have never noticed it being crusty just runs all the time.

Bunny Runner

Post by Bunny Runner »

Are you using cedar or wheat straw/hay around this pup by any chance?
Education, Preservation, and Conservation ensures a "WILD" future for our children!

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Check and see if it's upper eye lids are rolled under. I had a pup once that it's upper eye lids were rolled under and the eye lashes were rubbing the eyes. My vet surgically removed the extra flesh on the eye lids and it made the eye lids function properly and never had a problem after that.

Swamp

J Rooster

Post by J Rooster »

I am using hay in the run. I will check his eyelids tomorrow.

Bunny Runner

Post by Bunny Runner »

May be a allergy to the hay your using. Try switching to something else (not cedar).
Education, Preservation, and Conservation ensures a "WILD" future for our children!

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Just curious, what did you find out was causing this?

ShawnS

Post by ShawnS »

i have something similar goin on and a guy left a message about allegies. said to use childrens benadroyl. i'll let u know how it works out for my 2yr. after i try to clean his eye out first...
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day in the office..