faster dogs

...on the ancestry of your new hound? This is your forum. Post your question and others will fill in the blanks for you. This is also a good forum for asking about particular hounds and bloodlines (past or present) when considering a breeding or purchase, or just breeding questions in general.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beagle101

faster dogs

Post by beagle101 »

can you take a brace beagle and breed it with a fast beagle and ever make a good speed rabbit dog?

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

It's not like mixing paint, white + black does not = gray. Fast + slow does not = medium. Find the type you like and breed it to one of like type, one who compliments the good an has no common fault.

Best of luck...Patch

Rosewood

Post by Rosewood »

I agree. If you breed a brace dog to a fast dog you will probably get some fast some slow and no medium speed. Find a dog that has the speed you want and the other major traits you like. You also want to look at his faults and the faults of your female. You don't want to make the cross if they both have the same faults, that is just asking for trouble.

beagleboy2

yes u can

Post by beagleboy2 »

I have to disagree I made a cross between a higher speed "walkie talkie"Type female and bred her to a very fast beagle and all the pups turned out medium speed and were some of the best all round hunting dogs I have ever bred.If I ever got out of trialing I would make that cross again .Hopes this helps

MikeSmithWV

MikeSmithWV

Post by MikeSmithWV »

Before I got into trialing, I bred a female that was Del Ray Stubby/Little Ireland to a very fast, 15 1/4 in., branko hound. I kept one female out of the litter and she is medium speed. She can run with any hound you put her with but doesn't fight much for the front. However, she is a good gun dog. When I picked her at 8 weeks, she was the straightest legged, lankiest, and tallest pup. From what I've heard, she is the fastest dog out of the cross. I run her in Little Pack occasionally, but mainly just gunhunt her and run her with young dogs.