Northway question

...on the ancestry of your new hound? This is your forum. Post your question and others will fill in the blanks for you. This is also a good forum for asking about particular hounds and bloodlines (past or present) when considering a breeding or purchase, or just breeding questions in general.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BIG AL

Northway question

Post by BIG AL »

Are the Northway hounds generally faster speed hounds or were some of them more conservative? How about a couple generations back?

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

Ive only had 4, but they all ran Medium-Fast, with close check work.
I have heard some have some swing too, I just havent saw it yet.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

I have run with quite a few Northway bred dogs and they are like what Mike described. I have saw a few that would get a little rough, if they were ran with something that was rough also. But I would say the majority ran a good rabbit with good speed and check work. I like this line because of their hunt and endless stamina. There are duds in all lines, but one thing good or bad, the one thing you will get from Northway is hunt.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

The best hounds that I've seen in the Mid-West trials with Northway breeding were FC Chimney Hills Driver, FC Timber Creek Misty Kisses, near FC Timber Creek Black Eyed Susie. I think these three were littermates by FC Northway Driver and FC Branko's Spring Kisses. Spring Kisses was out of IFC Trakarab Pacesetter and FC Branko's Proper Lady Slipper. I also saw Spring Kisses run and she was good, but much slower than her pups, although her littermates IFC Branko's Pacer Becky and an oversized male, Branko's Baba Louie were extremely fast. Also, FC Jenkins Energizer was a nice hound out of FC Northway Ninja. I'm not sure what his dam was. Some of the other Northway dogs I've seen run tend to start skirting the pack with a lot of packing and trial pressure. This may be why you don't see more placing in AKC Mid-West trials, but they do well in ARHA little pack trials where skirting is not considered a fault.

KanesIrish

Post by KanesIrish »

I judged Chimney Hill Driver up here and he was a pretty nice hound. i didn't place him, I'm can't quite remember why...but I remember that he was a line hugger and stayed 3-4th in the pack and was very consistent.

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

That's pretty much the reputation he had in the Mid-West; very consistent. He didn't get his third win until he was pretty old and unfortunately died shortly after he finished. I had the pleasure of judging both Misty Kisses & Susie. They were probably as good as any I've judged. I think they both died before they ever had a chance to raise any pups; what a shame.

Lynn Perkins

Post by Lynn Perkins »

Big Al most are med-fast and i have seen them med and very conservative.I have a male that made grand in little pack but he beat the hounds in the check by staying in close,i've never seen him skirt,maybe swing alittle in the check now that he's older but runs a great line.

My opinion not all get ruff but have seen some that do,seen alot more that ran med to med-fast and consevative then i have any ruffness.Most hounds i've seen were reffett breeding based on spur blood.
Perkins Runnin & Gunnin Kennel
Producing winners both under the gun and in front of the judge!
HOF Reproducer GRCH/BCH Perkins Run-n-Gun BuzzSaw - He might be gone,but his blood flows on!