Bedding material

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Ricko

Bedding material

Post by Ricko »

I was wondering what types of bedding material you were all using in your dog coops this winter. I've read where straw isn't such a good idea as it causes some type of infections around the head, although I've never had any problems using wheat straw. I do like the cedar chips for smell and flea control.
One thing I'd like to share with you that I found in my quest for the perfect bedding was a product called Aspen Bed. This product is made by the American Excelsior Co. It's not like shavings or chips or sawdust. It's kind of like someone striped the wood off a branch and then cut the strips into short pices 1/2 -3/4 inches lone. Actually what they call it is "fractured fiber". It is odorless,dustless and highly absorbent.
It is no-toxic and non-allergenic. It is made from 100% Aspen wood. It's used a lot in laboratory cages. I had requested a sample to see if it was to my liking and today the UPS man comes to the house with this big box.
Well to my surprise, they sent me a 32# bag of the stuff as a free sample.
The wife and I both took a look at it and indeed I think it's something we're going to go with. It's what I'd call a great nesting material. I was originally looking for that excelsior stuff you see fine china packed in, and that's how I got to this Aspen Bed. Sorry, but I don't have a price on it yet. I've emailed the rep for that information.

klrconcrete

Post by klrconcrete »

Ricko, Please keep me posted with any and all info you come up with I have seen this type of product before and would like to use it. Thanks Kurt

Ricko

Post by Ricko »

Kurt,
PM me as I now have the particulars you need.
Rick

Lee Currah

Post by Lee Currah »

Do not use Grass Hay, as there is fine grass in the mix with real fine barbs that will hook in the dogs throat if they chew it. Afriend of mine done this , hounds started to refuse to eat, took to vet. and found throat raw, with fine grass imbeded in throat. Lost 2 hounds, and with lots of cooking oil, nursed the rest back in good health. Needless to say an expensive adventure.
It dose't cost any more to feed a good one

MJ_1300

Post by MJ_1300 »

I just got this stuff called red ribbon dog bedding from lion country supply. I really like it and a little of it goes along way. Here is a link to it.
http://www.lcsupply.com/store/flashcart ... &catalog=2

- on the left hand side click on kennel supplies or just do a search for bedding

Ricko

Post by Ricko »

For those interested, here is the information I received along with my two free sample bags.

It's Aspen Bed. It's made by American Excelsior Co. 1-800-777-7645.
They have 26 branches around the country, so I'm sure there is going to be one close to where you're located.
The product is made from pure Aspen wood and is specifically for use as a contact bedding material. It's used for lab animals. It's produced from aged wood in a "fractured fiber" which provides high absorption properties not found in most bedding.

Beaglin Bill

Post by Beaglin Bill »

I live in Northern Michigan,wondering how well it will insulate in the winters.Would love to find something for both winter and summer.I use straw in the winter and cedar in the summer.
Keep em' on the ground running!

fair chase

Post by fair chase »

I use straw and cedar, the key to any bedding is to keep it fresh, and dry,I watch and change it out as soon as I see it to start to break down.