Starting dogs on e-collar

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

SmoothDogg

Starting dogs on e-collar

Post by SmoothDogg »

I have got 2 pups that are 6 months old they are site chasing and get in the brush. The female jumped one of the tame rabbits i have turned loose in some brush behind my house and ran it by scent. Is this a good time to start them on the shock collars or should I wait til they are a liitle older. If this is the rite age how do I go about it??

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh
Josh Jones (606) 813-6028
(606) 596-0538

moonshinekennel

Re: Starting dogs on e-collar

Post by moonshinekennel »

You can put the collar on them to get use to it . but unless you have a handling issue or trash probelm you probably will not need to use it. But leave it on for insurance incase they decice to give a deer a spin.
Dale
Ensure the future of our sport, take a child hunting and fishing.

Moonshinekennel@hotmail.com

windy hollow

Re: Starting dogs on e-collar

Post by windy hollow »

I put an E-Collar on a young started pup to avoid them running off game. I put an E-Collar on them to train in the back yard and my Basic training includes lots of play time for the pup to keep his interest at all times. They asociate the E-Collar with having fun, because after I put it on we go out and start into play / training. Keep the intensity low on the collar as to not overwhelm him and use it only when nessary and make sure, if you correct a bad behavior, you do it as it is happening, you do not want to confuse him. Correcting an off game happening .........MAKE SURE IT IS OFF GAME, BEFORE YOU USE IT ! if you can stop his very first deer chase or fox chase, YOU WIN ! but if you use it thinking its off game and it is not, you may screw him up bad. There are alot of people that use E-Collars all wrong, only because they didnt bother reading the directions or watching the video. If used properly there is no collar smart dog, and there is no yelping when it is used except in extreme corrections, like when he is chasing deer and wont stop then you may need to turn up the intensity. Image
WINDY HOLLOW BEAGLES