What does "check" mean?

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Keystone

What does "check" mean?

Post by Keystone »

Hi all, I've been reading these boards for awhile, but just recently signed up. This is my first post. I keep reading about a dog "checking" or the dog has a good "check". What does this mean?

My father and I had beagles several years ago and I want to get back into it now that my children are a little older and about ready to hunt.

Thanks in advance and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions!! :D

green river

Re: What does "check" mean?

Post by green river »

A check is when the line is lost. A dog that can pick up the scent and get the line moving forward again once the trail has been lost might be called a good check dog.

les guynn

Post by les guynn »

most of the time it means a dog is judged by their mistakes or another dogs.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

A check, is a temporary loss of scent(ie...the hound stops making forward progress and giving tongue on the line). As hounds search outward from the point of loss, the line is regained and the chase continues, this is the recovery of a check.
A loss, is a loss, no scent is recovered as the hounds search outward, to continue on the line and the chase comes to an end.

We also talk of a hound "checking in", this is where the hound makes a visual appearance to check your location and may also be to tell you he's ready to move on to new ground.