Starting Pups

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

SmoothDogg

Starting Pups

Post by SmoothDogg »

I have two 5 month old beagles, I would like too get them started, but really dont know where to begin. Should I take them to a rabbit pen, get some tame rabbits and mess around with them, or take them out with some older dogs that is already running??

Any advice would be appreciated greatly, I have never started my own dogs before so I am as green as the pups when it comes to this..
Last edited by SmoothDogg on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Josh Jones (606) 813-6028
(606) 596-0538

Hippy

Re: Starting Pups

Post by Hippy »

I have used tame rabbits before BUT only to start the pup .Once they start to run with their noses I take them off as a tame rabbit will not keep running it will only hide a couple of times and then the dog will probally Kill it.I like to start them by letting them run on their own. If you have any remote areas that have well maintained cemetarys it is a good place to catch a rabbit sitting and let them sight chase it and they will usually start to trail by scent.
One other way I have used with success is to kill a rabbit and drag it along behind a bycicle and then have them trail it if you think they are trailing the bike just throw the rabbit 20 or so yards and keep riding the bike.
Some people believe in starting pens , they do work BUT be careful how/who uses it, DO not let the dog run too long in the pen especially if someone is not with it all the time.
Jim
"Today is the 1st DAY,of the rest of your Life"