How do training pens work?

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

pgmrdan

How do training pens work?

Post by pgmrdan »

Do you pay the owner of the training pen so much per hour per dog to let the dogs run around and chase penned up rabbits?

How does it work?

Thanks,
Dan
Last edited by pgmrdan on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Re: How do training pens work?

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

if you want to start your dog i will charge you by the hour.if i start it i charge by the week.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

pgmrdan wrote:Do you pay the owner of the training pen so much per hour per dog to let the dogs run around and chase penned up rabbits?

How does it work?

Thanks,
Dan
Depends where you bring it, all people have different arrangements your best bet is to just talk to the owners and see what they do.

WV Jaz

Post by WV Jaz »

At our place if you rent the pen it's by the hour, but very few people take their dogs out without us too (we need to make sure the intregrity of the rabbits is preserved). If you want a dog started, it's by the week at our place too. Take care though when you talk to owners that they don't just "let dogs out to chase". In my opinion a responsible trainer is going to be out in the pen with the dogs, making sure they are matched appropriately with a specific packs/dogs and evaluating how your dog is performing, etc. In ours we always make sure that a pack/dog doesn't run smaller rabbits down--a big ole' flying bunny can be run longer than a small one. Also, you should ask about how much solo time is provided. Good luck :)

danb

Post by danb »

how much for you to keep my pup a week and run it?

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

what all do you require of on starting a pup such as age n what all do you do i have 3 that almost 6 months n not started do you have a website how do i get hold of you jb
WV Jaz wrote:At our place if you rent the pen it's by the hour, but very few people take their dogs out without us too (we need to make sure the intregrity of the rabbits is preserved). If you want a dog started, it's by the week at our place too. Take care though when you talk to owners that they don't just "let dogs out to chase". In my opinion a responsible trainer is going to be out in the pen with the dogs, making sure they are matched appropriately with a specific packs/dogs and evaluating how your dog is performing, etc. In ours we always make sure that a pack/dog doesn't run smaller rabbits down--a big ole' flying bunny can be run longer than a small one. Also, you should ask about how much solo time is provided. Good luck :)
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

scootersjill

Post by scootersjill »

i be willin to hep out for a roll of red seal per week.havin as much trouble as me. :annoyed:
been a bad year for startin pups.
skillet creek jammin jill RIP
skillet creek suzie Q
D-N-J"s Hammerin Hannah
Mike's Sunrise Scooter