New to beagles,a few questions

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

JohnC

New to beagles,a few questions

Post by JohnC »

Well I finally took the plunge on a couple of beagles. I picked up a male and female bluetick. They are about a year old and short probably 13 inch class.. I took them out for the first time yesterday and let them run. They did pretty good except the female did a little cold trailing at the beginning. She seem to settle down after she got to run a bit. They really like to get in the brush and seem to have alot of desire. They jumped one out of a brush pile and the chase was on. They worked that rabbit for about 30 minutes or so. We currently have a few inches of snow. They never did bring the rabbit back around. I'm not sure if it holed or what but I was happy with there effort. I assume that these conditions are not the best for beagles. After the first run they came back to where they started and we moved on. I don't think these dogs have had much field time so I think they will be OK. Now the big problem, they worked up a little valley and they run up on a deer. They chased it out of sight and I caught up with them a couple hundred acres later. I was not a happy camper at this point and gave them a good lashing. I didn't beat them, I snatched them up and seemed to get my displeasure. I didn't want to beat them up to much because they are not completely comfortable with me yet. I don't have a shock collar yet. I am seriously considering it. Unfortunately southeast ohio has as many deer as we do rabbits. I do have one farm that seems to have lots of rabbits. I will take them out to this farm on Saturday. My question is how would you proceed with these dogs? The seem to ignore all the deer sign at first, I think they ran up on the deer the chased. I have a buddy with some good dogs that I could run them with or I could also try to find a starting pen. What is your opinions on the use deer scents used to break dogs? I think I can break them of it but the time is now. Lots of experience on this board so I'm hoping to get some insight on what to do.

Thanks,John

JohnC

Post by JohnC »

What,no help to the new guy? It's OK, I still like this site:)

TC

Post by TC »

First get you some shock collars, this is very important... You need to have this because the next time they just might be in Texas befor you find em...

Second they are new to you so until you get the shock collars do some bonding work with them and yard work...

But seriously if not trialing ours run with the electric leash because you never know when you need to get em in in a hurry....

Then if they get on a deer and you KNOW if for sure fry them all the way in that should cure it... Some are hard headed and will need a double dose of no runnin deer... I know it sounds harsh but some day they just might get on a hot deer and that deer takes em to Texas and you will be lookin for your dog for days if a coyote don't get em first...
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Thanks TC, They are getting more comfortable with me. I have been walking them on a leash. I think they are starting to figure out where their meals come from. I think an e collar is what I need. I was also thinking that maybe working with check cord may be a good idea. Try to get them to come to me when I call. I will keep trying,thanks for the reply.

John

TC

Post by TC »

You are welcome, probably the reason you didnt' get to much response on this topic was you posted under this forum, most of the people that are super knowledgable on training post under Talking dawgs.. That is where you would get a lot more information then what I gave you, however most know what they are talking about and can steer you in the right direction, I just gave you base information. But the most important thing is to have the equipment to do the job...

Yes training them to come to you is important, however beagles have a one track mind when they get their nose full of hunt and it turns off their hearing...
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Yeah, I noticed after I posted on this forum is not as active. My dogs certainly have the desire to hunt, I don't think that will not be an issue. I just need to break the off game habit. I think I can get that worked out. I have been working with them one on one out of the kennel and I think they are starting to come around. They can be a little frustrating at times but I sure am having alot of fun with them. I like a challenge!

Thanks again,John

illinois boy

Post by illinois boy »

you don't need to put them in a starting pen they already know waht a rabbit is and how to run it from the sound of things and for the deer a shock collar is the best the deer scents i had 2 dogs 5 years ago that ran deer i broke one with the deer scent and the other seemed to make him want them more the best bet is get a shock collar then drive around and find a field with several deer in it walk the dogs one at a time up were the deer were don't encourage them to run it just walk them up there if they show interest in it bust them then take them somewere with lots of rabbits and let them run them
nick
Johnson's Ace High Beagles

timberdoodle

Post by timberdoodle »

Take each one out alone right to a deer and keep it on lead. If the dog shows any interest in running or scenting the deer let it know in no uncertain terms that this is unacceptable to you. Then take that same dog and let it run a rabbit.

I also recommend an e collar but this method has worked for me prior to e collars.

I use a 20 ft. check cord when I introduce dogs to deer. I want them to realize that running deer is not pleasureable to me and this is where the first corrections come from ME. Off lead, can't beat Tri Tronics unless you are very fast.

Hope this helps till you can get your hands on a collar!!

tiffinis

training

Post by tiffinis »

I agree with the tritronics method!! I also know somebody that kept an extra leg off of a deer during deer season. Threw it out in the yard. Every time one of the dogs went near it, they were given the "LEAVE IT" command, if they didnt they got zapped one level higher then each was usually corrected on. You will find every dog has a different tolerance level. Use the lowest possible setting for each dog. Dont abuse it either. Make sure you give a command they know and give them a chance to obey, BEFORE correcting with the Ecollar. Dogs are not mind readers. I have seen good dogs ruined by heavy handed remotes!
Patch Addict