Patch hasn't started yet???

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Patch hasn't started yet???

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

i have a 10 month old Patch hound i purchased as a pup and have worked with him sense he was 10 wks old and won't bark on a trail yet..
Now i have been told by many that they are slow starters, but i have been running him with other hounds, solo him, running him in my small starter pen, and the dang dog won't open on a track.
He uses his nose to find rabitts in my pen and bumps them up but won't stay on the scent or give mouth.
Do you ever think he will ever get it????????????????
Sure frustrating me cause i have got many pups started and he has been my biggest challenge yet.
I beginning to think he is as dumb as a hay rake, cause he barked like heck in the kennel all the time until i introduced him to mister bark collar.
He is heading to the big starting pen in July for boot camp on bunnies and if he don't get it there i don't know nothing else to do.

What do you think and don't be bad about it just onest.

Thanks
Donnie Gibson/Gibson Plateau Kennel
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

jlboomer

Post by jlboomer »

all i can say is give him time. i have some patch pups at 9 and 10 month old are running good. i have one that i started at 7 months old but had some health problem and left him up till he's now 15 months old. its like starting all over again but im going to give him atleast till he's 2yrs old. now i know alot of people may disagree and call me crazy but dogs are like people some pickup on things faster than others and ive seen alot of hounds that people have given up on by a year old and those hounds go to someone that will take the time to be patient and work them and make great hounds out of them by the time there 2 or 3yrs old. now by rule of thump if a dogs showing anything at all ill give him to 2 yrs old. ive had alot of dogs not show any interest until 16 to 18 months old and theyve made awsome rabbit dogs.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Does he do any barking at all, after the bark collar treatment? If so, I'd say he just needs time for the switch to come on. Try letting him smell a box trapped rabbit, then turn it loose in front of him and let him go...
Solo, solo to build his confidence and bring mouth...
I never thought much of bark collars. How does a hound know the difference between a bark collar and a shock collar, when he's hunting, could it teach him to run silent?

If you run out of patients, boomer sounds like a good fellow to give him a full chance... ;)

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

thanks boomer i've heard alot of the same from others on PATCH hounds and i to once owned a female that started late and money couldn't buy her now, but i work with this hound almost everyday, so i putting the time into him and let me tell ya i must have some paitents or otherwise i wouldn't be feeding him in my kennel.

S.R. he barked before and after, when i go to feed them you can hear him over all the rest, he has a very deep bark that is very easy to notice over any hound. i didn't leave the collar on him long cause he caught on quick, so now he just barks when i feed him, or when something strange comes into the yard. As for solo, like i told boomer i work with this hound daily, he will site chase, hunt them up with his nose and chase them, but once he loses them he just put's his nose to the ground like he is tring to find another and goes the other way instead of staying on the track, or he will come back to where i'm at. i run him solo in my starter pen for 2 days and nites straight, when he wasn't bumping up bunnies he would run the fence or lay down my the gate. I started him on the box trap from the get go, i have a moviable pen that i let the bunnies rome around in then i move it several times in a open mowed field, then turn him loose and let him scent find the rabitt, he will walk straight to where they are with his nose and give no mouth at them, just walks away like he could care less.
When i turn it out infront of him he will chase until it goes out of sight, give alittle nose to the track the wonder off elsewhere. he even caught one once and let it go?????????? Now i ain't seen many hounds that wouldn't try to get in the trap to the rabitt,along with give mouth, as for letting one go like he does, that would have been bunny bergers for the rest of my pups or hounds. He is showing some sign but it is sure slow about getting here, before he wouldn't do a thing, just wonder around while my 4months old pups run rabitts by him. maybe i'm just use to them starting quick and it's spoilt me. the female i was telling boomer about didn't start until 8 months and 2 of them was in a starting pen. then one day while me and a buddy was running we heard a bark we never heard before and it was her. Just like a light bulb came on and she has hammer rabitts sense, and wouldn't part with her for nothing, she is 2 now and will flat smoke a bunnies tail, so i guess i should give him more time. like i said he will be going to a big pen in July so we will see from there what he does.
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

ycedy

Re Not Starting

Post by ycedy »

I would give the pup more time. If you have a place that has wild rabbits I would take him as much as possible. Some Patch may start later but once they crank up you will be happy. I have had dogs in starting pens, I think getting them on wild rabbits will do the trick. I think if you get a few sight chases on wild rabbits in some open woods he may start getting better. The main thing is to keep him on rabbits and don't give up on him.
Good Luck
Cedric
Black Swamp's Patche Beagles

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

Well i guess i should have closed this post, cause he did finally open up all the sudden but went crazy when he did, i tried to get him up for 6 days and he was finally ran over and killed about 1 mile from my kennels.
Very disscouraging let me tell u, after all the time i put into this hound which is more than any hound i've ever owned,so i'm presently out of the Patch hound dogs 4 now, i may try to get another one later that is already started, but 4 now i am staying with my Sy line totally which is showing good results.
But i've Got my eye on a Young Patch female thats is a dandy and is already running well, so who know's if i come up with the extra cash i may give her a new home, at the farm with me.
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

jlboomer

Post by jlboomer »

IM sorry to hear about your dog i had a very fine hound killed back in rabbit season the same way he was very hard headed couldn't catch him and he got hit by a car. also dont' give up on the patch dogs they have someting to add to anyones breeding program in my book. to me there time tested nothing fancy but if breed right they'll stand the test of time like they have. ive come to see they make some awsome crosses on other lines like northway, branko, even tried them over on so jojo blue bloodlines once.

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

well i can't say i wasn't warned but he handle like a dream in the field, so i thought he would do the same when he caught on, but was i wrong cause all he wanted to do was run the heck out of them bunnies and the heck with me.
Thats why i didn't put a ecollar on him or a tracker because he handled so well as a pup, with quick responce with every command.
I haven't given up totally yet, but it's just that i have 4 pups i'm working with alot right now and i don't have the funds to purchase that Patch female i want right now, plus i will be probibly breeding a hound out alot for a friend of mine in a few weeks, so i will have my hands full 4 awhile beside moving my family and my hounds to a farm that i use to run on, train and condition all my hounds.
But if all works out i will have another soon, so all hope isn't given up yet cause i really like them Patch hounds that i have seen that was bred right.
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

jlboomer

Post by jlboomer »

Hey donnie im going to try and breed a litter next year not sure what direction im going to go with the sire but they will either be full patch stock or good crosses if you'd be interested id hook you up with one. do you trial or anything. what part of tn are you located. Yea i got my hands full to right now to full ive got dogs that are getting behind becasue not enough time to work with them all but hate to part with them to hard desicons but i bought some property about 40acres in the middle of about 1000 acres of prime hunting land so im trying to get that straitend up hopefully get move on it in the next year or two and get a starting pen up.

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

thanks j let me know when you do that cross, i don't know if i will be ready for one then but u never know by that time. but i think if all works out i may buy this female if she isn't gone by then, that is already started, which will get me back into Patch hound again.
I live in Crossville, and no i don't trial but my son's do, i'm just like to train and hunt over my hounds.
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

jlboomer

Post by jlboomer »

yea thats me to donnie i love to hunt and work with young dogs when i have the time. im fixing to maybe get into trialing tho i have something i wana prove with an old grade line that been around my area awhile. Ill let ya know next year when i plan on a litter try and hook you up with a good pup just get ya to help me with the cost of the shots if your still interested then. Ive been helped out before and i beleave in trying to do the same us rabbit hunters gotta stick together lol well take it easay talk to ya latter.

Joey from kentucky.

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

Sounds good Joey, i know it is and a man breeding to improve his bloodline takes a pretty good amount of money, and sure wished i had a partner or some help many times, but it's starting to work out for the best now, maybe i will start getting some help soon.

Thanks
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

jlboomer

Post by jlboomer »

I tell you donnie having a partner sure is nice helps you be able to keep more hounds and get more time to work with them but i got burned a few years ago on a partner deal bad. Spent some big bucks on a couple hounds then he decides he wants to get out well before offering to sale his share to me he just up and sales everything and reaches me a check. screwed my breeding plans over big time it was mainly just one male that i was so ticked about when i tried to buy him back from the people my partner sold to they asked me 3 times the price they payed. sure would like to try one of these days and take on another but im gonna be a little more picky about who it is lol know what i mean. i do have a good friend tho that im getting started in beagleing and he's takin to it fast gave him 2 good gun dogs last year and he laughed at me said didn't see what people got from rabbit huntin now he owns 6 beagles and loves it. Its all about the dogs. well take it easy donnie. and keepem runnin.

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

ok jl i will after i get all moved to the farm, my next step will to get back to working them hounds real good, plus i got a new pup coming out Maximus Crank and Twisted Sister and it should be one heck of a hound if i work with it alot which i plan on. i really have big hopes for this hound cause this will help improve my Sy bloodline if all works out.

talk at ya soon.and come down and run with us this season if you get a chance.
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

greenesbeagles

Post by greenesbeagles »

He should be opening, I have a 16 week old that is just ripping it up.She is putting rabbits in full circle and barking all the way doing it,she gets better every time out and that is no lie.I have never seen anything like it in my life .One day it just clicked for her and it was on from that day on. Keith.