Tame rabbit training

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

JovanJ

Post by JovanJ »

ok i would let the rabbit out before the pup for about 15 mins put it under a box let the pup out,see if it gets to or near the box when it gets near or to the box let the rabbit out and run then from there let it sight chase the rabbit about 1-2 a week when it gets better at following the scent take it out with the older dog and when it gets in the race with the older dog start to solo it until it can run its own rabbit to the gun

CottontailRunner

Post by CottontailRunner »

All I did was catch a wild rabbit and put it in a cage and let the pup walk up to it and pet him up alot and rattle the cage a little and then as soon as they get fired up over it, cut it lose and give the rabbit about a 30 yard headstart and then cut the dog lose and watch go for the last place they saw the rabbit and put those noses to the ground and try to figure it out.
Hope this helps!
CottontailRunner

JovanJ

Post by JovanJ »

thanks

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

Here is all you need to know on how to start you pups on bunnies, so check out this website. i have used it with great results.

http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglet ... abbits.htm

Hope this helps answer some of your questions, but it sounds like you already got it figured out.
Donnie Gibson/Gibson Plateau Kennel
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

JovanJ

Post by JovanJ »

youve done it are your pups that you did this with good hunting dogs

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

well if they wasn't they would be eating at my pens.
just remember what it say's and what stage to move them to running solo or packing. To much sight chasing is not good for training hounds, once they start opening on the track,keeping that nose to the ground,hunting up the bunnies start working them in the field like a finished dog or use a finished dog to help them, they get better each time out.

It works for me and when ya got a 4 month old pup putting it your buddies 3 yr old hound it makes you fill like your doing something right, not that it happens all the time, but it sure is nice seeing them brush that old hounds shoulders and make him pick up the pace, or when they put it on them at a hard check.

I don't agree with all it say's but it has a lot of good tips to someone tring to start a pup,it's just upto to trainer to judge the pup on when it's time to move it to the next level, the more you work with pups the quicker you pick it up and when to hold them back as they are progressing. these are just tips, only the trainer can make the right call.

this is just what i think, others may see it different, but do what works best for you.
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

JovanJ

Post by JovanJ »

yeah i seem it and it says take it out to a running pen but i was just going to take it out with the older dog im getting

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

that will be ok just do it as often as you can. when i start this process i try to set 3 to 4 days out the week to running with my hounds for a month solid if possible.
cause i know where your coming from about running them in a pen when you don't have one close by, it makes it harder on you, thats why i saved up and built my own and let me tell ya it will ruin you on training pups, especially when you don't have to drive 2 hrs or spend a hole day out tring to kick up a rabitt for them to run. been down that road and it's not fun.
Those tips will give your pup the basics, what the scent smells like, what there looking at smells like, how to use there nose to track it down, the exciment, desire to find it and then to open on a scent if it's hot enough, the older hounds just line them out more and teaches them control on the track, when to open, circle it, ect...............
Starting pens are great, but not everyone has one around the corner so you must work with what you got.
If you wasn't so far from me you would be more than welcome to start your pup in my pen, but there you go the drive time. lol

Good luck and hope the website can be of some help to you i really liked it and thought it would be something you can use also.
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

JovanJ

Post by JovanJ »

thank you so the more i take the pup out with the older hound the better then when it starts to run with the older hound more and more run him solo right

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

yes thats correct.
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys