Pups got caught runnin a deer.

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BAYOU

Pups got caught runnin a deer.

Post by BAYOU »

Well it finally happened, 2 of my pups were caught runnin a deer. At first it sounded like they weren't runnin a deer because thet went in a big circle but I seen a deer causually walk by. The deer was in no hurry, the dog's kept a coming and followed the deer barking the whole way. Should have guessed something was up because they were really burning the track up for a long ways. They are both 4 months old and I'm waiting on the new G-2's that come out at the end of the month. So should I not take them back out till I get the collars so I can bring the thunder or chance it again. I chased them down and gave them the ol' hat thumpin today when I caught them. I know alot of people claim that there dog's have never ran a deer and maybe they haven't but I find it hard to believe. It is very heart breaking when it happens because they have been doing great and they show great promise. Once a dog is broke will they be trustworthy?

tflader

Four months

Post by tflader »

You corrected them for it. They might not chase one again. You can better your chances by not taking them out as early in the day. Deer move a lot early morning. Season is just about here. I like to feed them some rabbit or at least let them get there mouth on one. Positive reinforcement is always the best. I have a pup with the same issue. I think he runs deer from time to time but I know he runs rabbits. I won't correct him till he chases a deer and it run accross my path. When he follows I will correct. Some folks are too eager to correct a dog. I personally have to be 100% sure it is a deer. I think you can really hurt a dog if you correct it and it was running a far ranging rabbit. I don't think breeding matters that much on chasing deer. I think all dogs will chase deer if one pops up in front of them. Especially when they are young. The older dogs usually only run it a short way. WEll there's my opinion. I don't have a shock collar but will chase a dog down and correct it, if needs be. When I get too old to chase. I will get a shock collar. lolll

wvduece

x

Post by wvduece »

in my opinion and that is all i wouldnt trust any dog n i mean any that they wont never run a deer i have had dogs that never run one till she was 6 years old seenm her go to other dogs on deer n come back seen her in a field at night with 15to20 der in the field when i set her down never even would acknoledge the deer track or deer she seen then one morning i was watching her track she was hot wont say a word til rabbit is up n running but this one morning i just knew she was ready to open when a big doe jumps up n the female right on it she run it for about 10or15 min then quit n came back but that floored me i still run her with no e collar on she has never had a e collar on her n she is 6 n never ran a deer before a natural straight rabbit dog is what i thougfht but ya just never know she hasnt ran a deer since that one time i i run her in deer country too jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

wvduece

x

Post by wvduece »

another thing i do with pups thats running i will drive around in the eve or after dark till i see a deer then turn my pups loose not just anywhere but i drive around on old abandon strip mines where theres no problem with traffic i turn pups loose if they dont go towards the aeara the deer were i get out n walk them right through their tracks if they get all excited i set my e collar on 5 let them track the deer n when the open up i open up with shock collar,i have seen pups track a long ways n not open i wont let them get too far before i hit them withe elec n on a deer i hit them om high n hold it till it kicks off it wont take but a few times sometimes only once to break them on deer i had one male i had a hard time breaking him but its been 2 years ago he is 4 now i seen a deer way over in a field n i only had the male dog so i put a spotlight in deer eyes with the dog wal;king right witrh me itowards the deer the deer didnt run till i got bout 40 yards from it shure enuf when my male came across the deer track he took right off on it i let him get up on top of a lil noll before he opened probally 50to75 yards he tracked before he opened i had collar on 5 the sec he opened ihit him n kept hitting him about 3 different times till he came back to my feet then i praised him all i could didnt want him to think i was the one causing all that pain but its been 2 yeas now hunted right in aear where plenty of deer are always there dont even put a collar onn him unles i only am running 2 dogs then i use them to get them back in or if they get out a lil too far jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

CottontailRunner

Post by CottontailRunner »

What is a far ranging rabbit? I had a chase where the dog jumped a rabbit and I saw it so I know it was a rabbit at first. But it ran it for a small/med. circle then cut back into the woods for a 300 yard circle(i went after him to see what he was chasing) but the time I got back there he was about in the field again.... always within hearing even though through the timber and thick pines.....I have had some rabbits run straight into the woods once jumped(once again saw it happen.) rabbit or deer/fox?
note to all-rabbits have started to breed early this year in VA so the buck might be a little CRAZY. but I am new to this.
CottontailRunner