Dog training and conditioning

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Red Briar Kennels

Dog training and conditioning

Post by Red Briar Kennels »

We used to train and condition hounds regularly, but in 2007 due to work schedules, we shut it down. Now that my work schedule has changed, I’m considering offering our services again, but on a much more scaled back version. Unlike in the past, I would only be taking up to 5 hounds at a time.
For those that aren’t familiar with us, we provided “real-time” training and conditioning meaning we do not use starting pens. We train like we hunt…in the wild. While we do utilize “training rabbits” at times, all hounds are worked with on an individual bases. We feel this teaches the dog to hunt WITH you and not just for you. All while working on handling to provide a pleasurable experience in the field.
A weekly progress report is given to the owner (either written or verbal) and a log is kept on each hound in order to track progress.
Our price would reflect this attention to detail at $200.00 per week. This is well under most daily boarding kennel prices. We understand this not necessarily the norm, but neither is our training. We are looking for the owner who may not have the time and resources that we do and who are really serious about their hounds.
I’m looking for any feedback. We are curious if there is any interest in this in order to persue further.
Red Briar Kennels