confusing female

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

windyridge

confusing female

Post by windyridge » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:44 am

I have a 14 month old female that will hunt and solo the fire out of a rabbit. She will pack with dogs she is kenneled with. Problem is when you put a strange dog in the pack she will not participate ,even if a kennel mate is in the pack. I have seen her not go with a strange dog then drive her to another spot and solo her or run her with a dog she is kenneled with and she does great. Not a shy dog at all. Do you think she will come out of this?

BCBeagles

Re: confusing female

Post by BCBeagles » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:18 pm

I have had a few do this....how we attempted to fix it was adding in a few new dogs in an area they are really comfortable with.....a place you run alot. Where the young hound is comfortable and really in "the zone" so to speak.

I have seen many a young hound...when traveled about...act different. I call it apprehension...we have had success in fixing this...most of the time it works out...but there are always exceptions.

Good luck and good running!
Jim Hall
BUFFALO CREEK KENNELS

BREEDING HOUNDS FOR FIELD PERFORMANCE
GUN HUNTERS AND TRIALERS WELCOME ANYTIME! I WILL RUN ANY AND ALL HOUNDS IN MY KENNEL UPON REQUEST.