Frustrated New Beagle Dad!

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

flycastingnut

Frustrated New Beagle Dad!

Post by flycastingnut »

HI all, I got my first Beagle about a month ago. She is about 3 months old now. I just thought id drop a few questions as I am new to Beagles. First of all the The house training is a nightmare!! She just will NOT go OUTSIDE, I take her out regularilly, and especially if I catch her in the "act". But she just runs and plays outside, ive sat outside with her for 45+ minutes after catching her in the act, and nothing? Within minutes of coming back inside, soon as my back is turned she goes in the house. Why wont she go outside???? I take her out first thing in the morning several times during the day, and at night but she will rarely go outside?? The only up side I guess is when she does go in the house it is "usually" on newspaper. I am at wits end, ive never had so much trouble housetraining a Pup, but ive never had a Beagle either??? HA HA!!! HELP
Also at what age do pups get past the "teething" stage :roll: Ive bought Mollie $50 worth of "chew" toys, but she prefers shoes, belts, computer cords etc. HA HA!! Anyway any help would be appreciated!! I am now a BEAGLE lover, but I need some tips to teach me, so I can teach her :) THANKS, Brian :)

beaglehandler

Post by beaglehandler »

I have found the best way to train beagles to go outside is to use a treat. I attached a cookie tin to a 1x1 and put treats in the tin. I walk with the 1x1 in my left hand as to teach heal at the same time. I let them out of the crate and walk to the back door. The pup is always trying to get the treats out of the tin and walk right with me. Once outside I let them run in the backyard until the task is done and then praise them. I would suggest that you act like the pups mother did in the whelping box. You must do this within seconds of the act of chewing. Grab the pup up by the skin on the sides of it's neck and pick it up face to face with you and let out a sharp no. The pup should go limp. If not do the no again. Make the pup submit to you don't let it wiggle about. I only give pups chew toys inside their crate and never use newspaper. This tells the pup that chewing is only allowed inside the crate and not using newspaper tells the pup going outside is the only place to go. If you send a pup mixed signals it is confused

bellasmom

Post by bellasmom »

Gee, I wish I'd known you when I got my first beagle 6 years ago. I never had so much trouble housetraining a dog - in all my (then) 60 years. I've learned a lot about beagles in those 6 years - but am always ready to try something new. I'm currently owned by 8 adults and a litter of 8 week old puppies - :roll: Love each and every one - I'm NOT a hunter, and don't do field trials, tho I'd love to start (or try) after I retire - I DO have two wonderful field dogs from long lines of champions - my male's parents are both IFC with many champs in line - and the female has almost as good a pedigree - her breeders just don't get into field trials, but she's a great dog - the two of them made some awesome puppies last September. The litter I have now is from the male and a TINY little female from show lines - yeah I know, that's probably not a good idea - but thought they'd probably make awesome pets. Both parents are very small - the dam is about 16# and the sire is about 20#, hoping to have small babies. MOST of my dogs are spayed or neutered (as the case may be) and ALL are pets. I had to have the mom of this litter spayed since she had her second c-section - so there won't be any more from her. I'm keeping one of her daughters, who is a little sweetheart. Thanks for the good advice about house training - will try it.
Glenda
beaglesmom

daustin

Post by daustin »

A few ideas.
First, get a crate. Dogs love crates as a place to get away and it makes housetraining easier. She should be in the crate overnight and take her out first thing in the morning, if she doesn't go then put her back in the crate for 15-20 minutes and take her out again.
The next time she pees on the newspaper save it. Take it outside and put it in the grass the next time she goes out. She has learned that going on the newspaper is ok, so now you need to teach her that the grass is ok too. As things progress make the newspaper in the house and yard smaller pieces and then none in the house and only a small piece in the grass.

As far as toys go. There are various products to make items taste bad that are effective. Also go and buy a KONG, this is a rubber toy that you fill with treats and will keep a beagle busy for hours. Use this as the everyday toy. Bring out the rest during play time.
Beagles are hard headed, very stubborn, that's what makes them great hunting dogs.

Good luck, PM if you have any questions.

Dane