STOP LYME & OTHER TICK DISEASES-must read

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sbeagler

STOP LYME & OTHER TICK DISEASES-must read

Post by sbeagler »

DR FOSTER & SMITH state :Amitraz is an ingredient that is used as a dip to treat demodectic mange. It has also been shown to be highly effective as an ingredient in canine tick collars, such as Preventic collars. Most ticks are killed by Amitraz before they attach or if they do attach lips will be paralyzed and, they are killed in less than 24 hours, thus preventing the transfer of Lyme disease. Do NOT use Amitraz on cats. Steve Church:You can shop amazon and find the PREVENTIC tick collars in 18 inch or 25 inch lengths and purchase twin packs for $19-23 dollars. They are good for 3 months. I would think you could take the large one cut in half or even 3 ways. You then zip tie it to their collar making tiny attachment holes in the PREVENTIC collar. A 25 inch would make 3 collars so thats 6 collars for less than $25. I could be wrong but doubt the control would we lessened any by doing this. An old coon houndsman stated he done it and it worked like a champ zero ticks he said. Hope this helps there are 2 new tick diseases now that can kill your dogs similar to Lyme as well. I will leave that for you to google erichliosis.