IVDD injured neck

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

tiffinis

IVDD injured neck

Post by tiffinis »

I haven't been on in a while, lots going on in life. But I felt the need to get on here and let people know what I have been dealing with the last couple of weeks. Lacie injured her neck while playing in the house. Upon taking her to the vet it was discovered she has Intervertebral disc disease causing swelling and pressure on the disc in her neck. Dacshunds and Beagles are the 2 most prone breeds for this. I have seen a few small threads on here with other people dealing with it, but they weren't very helpful. Since some of them were older threads I wondered how those people made out. Basically right now we are 2 weeks into a STRICT 8 week crate rest, or in our case we have a small bedroom we have turned into a recovery area, including my bedroll on the floor next to her. Round the clock meds. Laser therapy and massage therapy, which I drive an hour each way to get to 2-3 times a week. Short potty walks, which believe it or not have turned into the most difficult part since she tends to be bullheaded about this. I love my dog and am doing whatever it takes to keep her comfortable, but the first week and a half were very difficult trying to get the right combo of drugs to keep her comfortable. This has not been an inexpensive journey and if surgery is required that would be upwards of $5,000. I promise my dogs that I will not be selfish and that if I can not keep them comfortable I will end their pain. So the first week was very very difficult for me. But the ups and downs that were so extreme during that time have started to level out and I have hope. Before you pass judgement or jump to conclusions, I am hearing impaired and Lacie is my service dog. She has worked for me most of her life and the least I can do is take care of her to the best of my abilities, I owe her that. But if you find yourself in my shoes, think about how dedicated you can be physically, financially and emotionally to the recovery of these dogs with this kind of injury.
Patch Addict

patchgirl

Re: IVDD injured neck

Post by patchgirl »

Sounds like you're doing everything in your power to help her out. It's tough seeing one of our pets in pain. Hoping everything works out for you and Lacie.
Sunny's Blue Moon Lola Daisy
Booman Reaume's Storm Chaser
WWB Run N Gun Paris

tiffinis

Re: IVDD injured neck

Post by tiffinis »

Lacie graduated from crate restriction and therapies. She is being slowly weaned off all of her meds and she is doing fabulously!
Patch Addict