injured neck while hunting

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

big w beagles

injured neck while hunting

Post by big w beagles »

My beagle injured her neck while hunting. Took her to vet and they x-rayed her and found a protruding disk putting pressure on her spinal cord which is causing alot of pain and some numbing of 3 of her legs. I'm to give her pain medication and anti-inflammatory meds for 10 days and complete rest for two weeks. Might return to hunting in a couple months. Does anyone have experiences and recommendations for this type of injury? Difficult to determine what caused the injury but the vet figured her garmin collar got snagged and the dog's neck got twisted.

bluemouse

Re: injured neck while hunting

Post by bluemouse »

Could happen if you let hounds jump off the tail gate of full sized truck.

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

Follow-up to my dog's neck injury. Took her back to the vet today because of the pain she was still in. She was hurting so bad that I could not give her the tablets because she would not eat and she would not let me near her head. The vet gave her a steroid shot that would replace the pain and inflammation medication. brought her home and she started eating. She still has long ways to go to be back to normal.

Bellmorekennels

Post by Bellmorekennels »

Big W, hate to hear that happened to your dog.
Had very similar issue happen to me last month. had 2 males get into a fight , so I grabbed both them by their collars and basically pushed them into their kennels before they killed each other.
Well that night one male was holding head cooked, then next day would not stand or eat.
took to vet had similar injury to your dog, not sure if it was the fight or my pulling the collar or pushing into the kennel.
Tried pain killers, anti inflammatories and steroids(cortisone and prednisone)
But as soon as would stop meds he would have same pain and issues.
In the end I had 2 choices, operate(cost almost 2k) and could no longer hunt or put down.
So was a tough pill to swollow ,but i really miss him!!
Hope your dog fares better!! GOOD LUCK!!!

I was also told by the vet(close friend), that jumping off tailgate causes alot of back and neck and hip injuries in beagles!!! so should be limited!

anthony

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

Anthony,
Sorry about your dog. I took my dog to the vet again with the thought of having her put down, but the vet thought as long as she is eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom that with rest that she still might recover. I'm having a very hard time getting her to take her medicine. She can snif the pills out and spit them out. She's too sore to force the pills down. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get her to take the pills? I've tried all kinds of food to hide them in. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve Shipman

Post by Steve Shipman »

Get a pill crusher @ your local drug store. Make powder of it and pour over her food. Pill crusher costs less than $10.00

tiffinis

Post by tiffinis »

I have found lunchmeat and the rolls of dog food in the fridge at the grocery store to be the best. That freshpet is like oscar meyer bologna, but a little softer, so you can smush the pills into the middle of it. I always hold a piece in each hand and give the pill bite first, she is always anxious to get the second bite. As for lunch meat, as much as I hate processed foods, summer sausage or lebonanon bologna seem to work best cause the garlicky smell helps to cover the smell and they like it. Lacie is on a pain pill, muscle relaxant, another 24hr pain pill, a stomach pill and pepcid. So 3 times a day she gets 2 pills and hour later on each she gets the stomach pill then evening she gets pepcid and bedtime she gets the 24 hr pain pill. So I really needed tricks that worked. PLUS if your dog isnt on a stomach pill or pepcid I suggest it, once we were a couple days into it, her nausea made her refuse everything. Crate rest is the most important detail in healing. Good luck!
Patch Addict

tiffinis

Post by tiffinis »

PS the website dodgerslist has a ton of helpful info! It is for all breeds.
Patch Addict

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

Thanks for the suggestions. My dog can sniff out the medicine and refuses to eat. I have been dissolving the pain pill in water and and using a syringe and put it in her mouth. Some gets wasted but she is getting some. She looks better today than she has since the injury.(10 days) The vet said 2 weeks of complete rest, but I think it will take longer than that. Last night when I took her out to potty, she got down and rolled in the snow on her back. This morning she wagged her tail for the first time and was able to shake the snow off after taking her out. She's eating and drinking o.k.
This dog means alot to me. When I got her as a pup, my wife was just starting radiation for cancer. The pup and i spent alot of time together at the hospital waiting for my wife's treatments. My wife is 4 years out from cancer and is doing well.

tiffinis

Post by tiffinis »

Recommended crate rest for healing is 8 weeks. the nerves need to reconnect and it takes time. Good luck!!
Patch Addict

pappaw

Post by pappaw »

had one of my females injured her kneck and was peralized for 45 day had to feed her with a surringe the vet gave her 21 days of seroids and told me it would be 50 to 60 days before i seen any improvement she was 1 year old when it happened she is seven now the only deffrence she never was as fast as she was before. hope everything works out with your hound.