parvo treatment?

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

goodpickens

parvo treatment?

Post by goodpickens »

Has anyone heard of using Tamiflu to treat parvo? My wife read it somewhere that 1 cc of tamiflu every few hours would knock parvo on its rear. I was wondering if it works. Never had parvo and I do everything I can to prevent it, but sure would be nice if you could be prepared.

steve w

Re: parvo treatment?

Post by steve w »

Yes, Tamiflu is reported by The Little Black Book to work well. I never tryed it myself but years ago I used collodial silver with what appeared to be success.

TheLittleBlackBook

Post by TheLittleBlackBook »

goodpickens wrote:Has anyone heard of using Tamiflu to treat parvo? My wife read it somewhere that 1 cc of tamiflu every few hours would knock parvo on its rear. I was wondering if it works. Never had parvo and I do everything I can to prevent it, but sure would be nice if you could be prepared.
Yes, the active ingredient Oseltamivir phosphate definitely knocks out parvo, but you have to catch it early to achieve the best results. This drug is not magic, so if your pup is 10 minutes from death don't expect a miracle, but if you administer the drug early on you can beat the progression of symptoms easily. So the sooner you act, the better results you will get

When administered under the brand Name Tamiflu, the suspension usually contains 12 mg/ml of the Oseltamivir phosphate, which (for pups) should be dosed at 1mg per lb, twice daily, for 5 days. This means a 5-lb pup would need 5 mg, every 12 hours, for 5 days in a row. If you do the math 5 mg would be contained in just over 0.4 ml (i.e., just over 4/10ths of a ml) of the suspension. A 6 lb puppy would need 6 mg, so he would get exactly 0.5 ml (i.e., ½ ml) of the suspension, etc.

Naturally, you will just have to do the math based on the weight of your particular pup(s), so after you give your pup his first dose you then give this same dosage every 12 hours, for 5 days in a row.

Good luck,

Jack

rickk

Post by rickk »

Is this available over the counter or require a prescription??