Strange Heat Cycle?

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

NoShowBeagles

Strange Heat Cycle?

Post by NoShowBeagles »

My 6 year old bitch came in heat last wednesday. She has never had pups and never been tried to be bred. She started with swelling April 4. took her to vet friday, one week ago and she is definatly in heat but tomorrow is her tenth day and she is just swollen. no blood. a little discharge last few days but it is clear. my chained male has really got it on his mind from the scent nearby i guess but the dog i choose to breed has been in with her since monday and i have not noticed any trying to or eagerness? even ran him to calm him down and still nothing. What is wrong?
NOSHOW BEAGLES
PROGRESSIVE PACK GUNDOGS
KYLE BRAGG
NOSHOW WHITE GIRL
DADDY RABBIT'S TARA
NOSHOW HELLO DARLIN
NOSHOW IM NOT LISA
828-460-1373

S.R.Patch

Re: Strange Heat Cycle?

Post by S.R.Patch »

Sounds like you've got a good "teaser male", nothing like a little jealousy to stir the apatite for love... :dance: (but keep your Don~Juan on a short lead) ;)

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

how did the cross work out? if it was me, next time i would only take them male to her pen for 5 minutes if shes backing up into him and flagging her tail over then shes ready, if there not getting down to business i would say take the male out until tomarrow and try again until the day comes that shes ready. i dont keep them kenneled together for a breading just because its to much work for them both. most of the time there playing ketch me if you can all day long and in the hot moths thats not good for them because as the male gets real hot his sperm count goes down.

NoShowBeagles

Post by NoShowBeagles »

Never saw them breed but she was ready and flagging for about 6 days. shes coming out now so maybe shes breed. will know in a month or so!
NOSHOW BEAGLES
PROGRESSIVE PACK GUNDOGS
KYLE BRAGG
NOSHOW WHITE GIRL
DADDY RABBIT'S TARA
NOSHOW HELLO DARLIN
NOSHOW IM NOT LISA
828-460-1373