Still Ivermectin for heartworms?

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

cjcocodrie

Still Ivermectin for heartworms?

Post by cjcocodrie »

Did a search for heartworm prevention and found a thread from 2008 on here that recommended Ivermectin. Is that still everyone's choice? Where and what (paste etc.) do you purchase?
Thanks in advance for your replies and advice,
CJ

TC

Re: Still Ivermectin for heartworms?

Post by TC »

Here ya Go. This is the Stuff, you can pick it up at most Any farm supply Store.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5
The Dosage is 1/10cc per 10 lbs once a month. or 0.1 ml per 10lbs every 30 days.
We just squirt it on a small piece of bread and feed it to them.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

allniter

Post by allniter »

I was told down in MISS. --HEART worms ---they are having to double up on the IVERMECTIN ---worms are getting immune to IVERMECTIN
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

chanks

Post by chanks »

Look on line for a product called Pet Tinic. order the 4 oz bottle. get the plain ivomec, NOT THE PLUS. in the 50 ml size from TSC or where ever you can find it the cheapest. take out 12 ml of the pet tinic and put it in another bottle. put 12 ml of the ivomec in the pet tinic. mix well. this cuts the ivomec and you end up with a solution that treats 10-12 lbs of beagle with 1 ml of the mix. I have found that it is MUCH easier to draw up 2.2 ml for a 22 lbs dog than trying to pull up 0.25 ml for the same dog..
Pet tinic is a liver flavored vitimine solution. it will not harm the dogs in any way. Actually seems to perk mine up. I hate dealing with tenths of a ml or hundreths with a human, might as well make it easier on both you and make sure the dog is getting what it needs..
Just my 2 pennies worth :nod:

BTW there is enough Ivomec to make 4 batches up, so find 4 friends that run too and split the cost..
Home of:
Scroghams-Little Star http://espomagazine.com/pedigrees/12979.htm
Hanks's Joie de Vivre

cjcocodrie

Post by cjcocodrie »

Thank you e1,

After I had posted I scrolled down to the subject "Ivermec" so I apologise for making some repeat their advice - I like the idea of cutting it with something - vitamins sound like a good idea - not much on that tiny measure either with these old eyes. Me & the girls say thanks,
Tally-ho,
CJ

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

I give a horse wormer that hasIvermectin 1.87% and praziquantel 14.03% in it. "Equimax" and it is marked off so you can give one click to each beagle.
It gets all worms, gets in blood and stops the biting and is all you need to give. Worms I think 12 dogs for $14.00.
Helps with fleas and ticks too, bots and anything that sucks blood.

Only give warm months when biting bugs are out, don't need it year round.

I put it in a folded over quarter piece of bread, throw a few pieces to the dog and then throw the one with it in it and they'll catch it in the air, gulp it down and never taste it.