Negative side affects of Ivomec? Do you use Ivomec?

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beagler29431

Negative side affects of Ivomec? Do you use Ivomec?

Post by beagler29431 »

I am now using Ivomec on all my dogs, as are several other people I know. We are currently using the worming dose of 1/10th cc/mL per 10lbs (0.10cc per 10lbs).

I have heard some things on the internet and locally about negative side affects of Ivermectin, including:
*Causing a female to not come into season regularly (this was in Shar Peis)
*Causing liver and/or kidney damage
*Causing a dog to die by the age of 8 years
*Causing autoimmune problems

If you use Ivermectin for any of the following:
*Prevention of heartworms
*Treatment of heartworms
*Prevention/treatment of hookworms/roundworms
*Prevention/treatment of mites
*Treatment of mange (Sarcoptic or Demodex)

If you ever had success treating a heartworm positive dog with Ivomec, I am very interested to hear your opinion.

Please post what you have used it for, how much you used, how often, any side affects you witnessed and in what breed (if other than Beagle).

A few other questions:
*When using Ivomec for the prevention of heartworms, when do you start puppies on it? I have heard from 8 weeks to 6 months and 2 lbs to 10 lbs.
*Do you ever use Ivomec on a pregnant/lactating female for any reason, if yes how much, when, and why? Any problems with the pups?
*Do you ever dilute it before dosing?

I want to continue using this product as do my family & friends, however I wanted to see if any one has any concerns or recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any advice you choose to offer.

jar242

Re: Negative side affects of Ivomec? Do you use Ivomec?

Post by jar242 »

Use it every month, haven't seen any issues, it is not going to hurt your dogs, ivermectin is one of the active ingredients in the Heartguard brand heartworm medicine.

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

I have only had one beagle to die prematurely with kidney disease and I have used Ivomec on every beagle I have owned since the mid 1980's. I personally think the benefits for BEAGLES outweigh the risks as long as you do not exceed the monthly dosage of 1/100 cc per lb. (unless the dog has manage or some other skin condition that is more risky than the treatment). I KNOW it can be used to treat heartworms I paid a vet $300 and that is what he used. Of course, that sounded safer to me than the old arsenic method. Most vets use Ivomec off-label but not all admit it because of liability risk. Of course, home treatment of heartworms risky - even if you confine the dog until the dead worms are gone. Of course, I start mine on Ivomec at 3 months and have not had a beagle with heartworms in the 24 years I have used it routinely.

TheLittleBlackBook

Post by TheLittleBlackBook »

The dosage for Ivomec varies.

For worms, the standard dose is 0.1 ml per 10 lb, once a month, as stated.

However, for demodex it is 0.3 ml per 10 lb, every single day, for as long as 3-4 weeks.

Surely if dogs can handle Ivomec daily, for up to a whole month, at 3x the basic dose, they can handle 0.1 ml once a month :)

That being said, I have given Ivermectin to no telling how many dogs ... for many, many years ... and have never had a problem.

DO NOT use Ivomec "PLUS" however ... as that can and will kill dogs.

Also, the related drug moxidectin has been known to kill dogs, and will definitely kill young pups.

tinymwoods

Post by tinymwoods »

Does anyone use Ivermectin? It is the off brand Ivermectin and is about $10 cheaper per bottle. It is the same percentage of sterile Ivermectin.
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

allniter

Post by allniter »

they have GENERIC -- IVOMEC now --with different names now ---just make sure you are getting ---10mg %--same thing
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

Spruce Ridge Beagler

Post by Spruce Ridge Beagler »

How about pregnant bitches, any side effects on them or pups with the 1/10th per 10# dosage ?
SUCCESS- When preparation and opportunity cross paths!

allniter

Post by allniter »

NO I have never had any side effects --I still keep the female up to date on IVOMEC when she is with pups

TheLittleBlackBook

tinymwoods wrote:Does anyone use Ivermectin? It is the off brand Ivermectin and is about $10 cheaper per bottle. It is the same percentage of sterile Ivermectin.
Yes, buy cheaper.

As Allniter said, just make sure it is 10% ivermectin (and nothing else), and save the money.

I myself never buy the brand name "Ivomec" anymore, but the generic (and less expensive) equivalent.

allniter

Post by allniter »

BOYS and GIRLS ----I see ---THE LITTLE BLACK BOOK ---replying on here ---if you have dogs ---you need this book --I bought one --it will pay for it's self ----if you will read it ---worth every penny I paid for it --50:00 for paper back ---hard back 65:00-- total cost --shipping and all

TheLittleBlackBook

Thank you very much for your kind words.

It is a good feeling to see this kind of positive reaction to what I have tried to write and put together under one cover. When I set out to create this book, I honestly tried my best to write the kind of book (1) I wished I would have had when I started and (2) that I would still refer to myself to this day. And I believe I have done that.

Serious dog owners are a passionate bunch about their hobby ... and there is a lot of misinformation out there that they have to sift through to provide the best care possible for their dogs. And, really, this kind of information-gathering is a never-ending process. One of the reasons for this is because the drugs that work today often don't work tomorrow ... or the dosages change ... or new/mutated diseases pop up ... etc., etc.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

TheLittleBlackBook wrote:
tinymwoods wrote:Does anyone use Ivermectin? It is the off brand Ivermectin and is about $10 cheaper per bottle. It is the same percentage of sterile Ivermectin.
Yes, buy cheaper.

As Allniter said, just make sure it is 10% ivermectin (and nothing else), and save the money.

I myself never buy the brand name "Ivomec" anymore, but the generic (and less expensive) equivalent.
The Ivomec I buy is 1% for cattle. Is the type your buying 10% ivermectin? do you dilute it to be 1%?
I'm all for saving a dime, is the 10%, 10X stronger than the 1% due to the concentration? What is it labeled for (animal)?

allniter

Post by allniter »

PATCH-----one CC CONTAINS 10 MG of IVOMEC is what I should have said --

cajunmeadows2

Post by cajunmeadows2 »

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Use Equimax for horses and give one click per dog each month. Put on a piece of bread and throw it to each dog. It is Ivermectin. No problems at all.
I stop giving it when dog I want to breed comes in heat and start back up when pups are weaned. Start pups at 6 months old.