How does your dog food rate?

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

moonshinekennel

How does your dog food rate?

Post by moonshinekennel »

I' d like to start a thread regarding what type pf dog food your are feeding and average cost per 50 lbs.
I currently use Pride 21/18 $17.00 /50lbs. What are you using and how have your results been?
Ensure the future of our sport, take a child hunting and fishing.

Moonshinekennel@hotmail.com

jlboomer

Re: How does your dog food rate?

Post by jlboomer »

Ive been feeding river run for about a year now and really like it. I pay $17 for a 50lb bag of the 27/12 and $19.50 for the 27/18. the 27/18 is some of the best dog food ive ever feed. But if your not running them alot i wouldn't reccomend the 27/18 as they will put on alot of weight.
J&M Beagles, Breeding for a true gundog and hunting partner

dannycrlsn

Post by dannycrlsn »

I use Pride 22/16 (Brown Bag). My dogs seem to do well on it! The price just went up to $16.25/50 lb. bag.

beagle crazy

Post by beagle crazy »

I still feed Purina Hi-Pro----50 lbs for $17.58 at the feed store. Everybody does just fine (except for that skinny one and I don't think it 's the fault of the food, just genetics)

FrancoMo1678

Post by FrancoMo1678 »

Tomboy 27/18 14.85 + tax for 50 lbs.

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

Canine Cuisine at Fred's is 9 bucks for 40 lbs. Stools are a little loose, otherwise fine. I feed some scraps and stale bread too, and add fat in cold weather. I'm going to Sportmix when I feed this batch out. Food Lion carries a Purina knock off that is about the same for less money.

People think they can "soup up" an ordinary dog by feeding it something wonderful. I heard guys talk about their dogs doing twice as good once they switched to Diamond Green bag. People are about like PT Barnum said they are.... or worse.

summs

Post by summs »

I found some Hunter's Special 26/18 for 12.95 a bag. I think I will give it a try. Anyone used it?

dogsman126

Post by dogsman126 »

feeding sportmix 26/18. feeding 5 beagles and 7 black mouth cures, cost is 18 per 50# bag,
dogs are all doing fine on it, good solid stool, shiny coats and lots of energy

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Larry G wrote:Canine Cuisine at Fred's is 9 bucks for 40 lbs. Stools are a little loose, otherwise fine. I feed some scraps and stale bread too, and add fat in cold weather. I'm going to Sportmix when I feed this batch out. Food Lion carries a Purina knock off that is about the same for less money.

People think they can "soup up" an ordinary dog by feeding it something wonderful. I heard guys talk about their dogs doing twice as good once they switched to Diamond Green bag. People are about like PT Barnum said they are.... or worse.
The only food I've fed that seemed to make the hounds hyper was the Pride 27/18 (blue Bag). I'd told my salesman, they acted like they'd drank to much coffee... :lol: ...couldn't stand it in summer as they barked and ran the fence all the time... :argue:

We're on the Sportmix 24/20 right now. Hounds holding well... ;)

warddog

Post by warddog »

I'm with S.R. Patch as we too fed the Pride but we fed the 21/17, chicken/rice Pro formula and are on Sportmix now. Dogs are doing well on the 24/20 Sportmix.

Blackwater

Post by Blackwater »

I have fed sportmix for years. Recently I started distributing from my home. I get $17.50 for 26/18: $17.25 for 24/20: and $16.00 for 21/12 Never had a complant other than loose stools and lack of weight gain from one man. Come to find out he was feeding twice the recomended amount. I finaly convinced him to feed less and the stools became solid and the dogs got fat and slick.
Casey Cunningham
Blackwater Beagles
La Monte, MO

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

i feed JOY HIGH ENERGY 24/20 16 bucks per 50 lbs :nod:
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

randy329

Post by randy329 »

Taste of the wild $41 30 lbs mixed with Exceed $21 44 lbs so the average price per pound is $1.14 per pound but I only have to feed .75 cups per dog per day and very little stool they are ran 2-3 times per week at 4-6 hours per day and they have no problems keep weight on. look at what is in the taste of the wild... Sounds better than my wifes cooking

BrewerMo

Post by BrewerMo »

randy329 wrote:Taste of the wild $41 30 lbs mixed with Exceed $21 44 lbs so the average price per pound is $1.14 per pound but I only have to feed .75 cups per dog per day and very little stool they are ran 2-3 times per week at 4-6 hours per day and they have no problems keep weight on. look at what is in the taste of the wild... Sounds better than my wifes cooking

Is this a kibble or some kind of stew............LOL, Sounds good to me ;)

randy329

Post by randy329 »

Kibble