Ol' Roy High Performance or SportsMix High Energy

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

FastFeetHounds

Ol' Roy High Performance or SportsMix High Energy

Post by FastFeetHounds »

Pedigree dog food doesn't keep fat or muscle on my hounds. They don't run much, a good hour is about all they can handle, they get ran all the time so they are in great shape. I've heard good things about both dog foods, but which one is better. I know this much that O'l Roy is cheaper, but for my dogs money isn't a problem, if I have to pay more for them I will.

So any info would be appreicated.

Thanks
Born to chase, bred to catch. Fast Feet Kennels

In the words of Adam Seger.

"We want a rabbit hound to run to catch by good clean check work."

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

An hour??? Thats not long at all! Have they been wormed? Pedigree isn't THAT bad a feed :)
Playboy Kennels - Got rabbit? ~ (703) 989-4079 ~ PlayboyKennels@gmail.com

Home of FC OTIS' BIG JOHN

Past home of FC DEATON'S BO & FC DEVIL'S HOLE HONEY BEE

FastFeetHounds

Post by FastFeetHounds »

yes I worm them.
Born to chase, bred to catch. Fast Feet Kennels

In the words of Adam Seger.

"We want a rabbit hound to run to catch by good clean check work."

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

Dog food that has corn or soy as the first few ingredients will not give your dogs good stamina. Most of the food is filler which doesn't digest and goes right through the dog. If you have a sams club close or costco I'd buy either Exceed (yellow bag) or Kirkland. If you want something from wal-mart the Maximum nutrition food is better than the pedigree or Ol Roy.

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

green river

Post by green river »

Hey Leah,
I've heard that Exceed is the same thing as Pro Plan, only cheaper. Is that true?

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

green river wrote:Hey Leah,
I've heard that Exceed is the same thing as Pro Plan, only cheaper. Is that true?
I am not sure who makes it. I have been using it for a long time. Its a little cheaper 22.00 for 40lbs rather than 30.00 for 37.5 lbs. If I have the checks from purina and coupons I buy the proplan and we always feed puppies proplan but, for everyday Exceed is great. Good stool and nice shiny coats! The kirkland brand at costco is also very good! One thing I think some forget is to read the ingredients!

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

HillBillyBubba

Post by HillBillyBubba »

i use ol roy high perfomance i like it my dogs like it . its a really healthy feed.

Beagled1

Re: Ol' Roy High Performance or SportsMix High Energy

Post by Beagled1 »

I'm always looking for a cheaper way to care for my hounds. I do my own shots, worm them with panacur (horse wormer), buy my own FishMox instead of dragging them to the Vet everytime I think they have a mild infection, etc. My hounds are well cared for and healthy - everytime something comes up the issue gets addressed, even if it's not by the Vet, sometimes my home remedies cure the dog better!

Nutrition is one thing I can be pretty anal about, and will not cut corners on for ANYTHING. Food is the best medicine for keeping a dog healthy, and saves me thousands in Vet bills down the road. The most expensive diets aren't necessarily the best, but the cheapest are that way for a reason ;) Pedigree and Ol Roy are very, very low in meat based protein & calories. I don't see it often mentioned here, but the "kcal" (kilocalorie) content of a food is MORE improtant than the ratio of fat/protein! A food can be 30% protein but only 380 kcals because the manufacturer is not using quality, digestable, animal based ingredients. That food is not going to keep weight on a hound for anything, you'll be feeding 4 cups a day and he'll still look ragged. Pedigree happens to be VERY low in kcals, because it's a grain based feed - so is Ol Roy - they're basically corn, soy & byproducts. I don't necessarily mind the corn and the by products, but NEVER as the main protein sources!

On that same note, I've fed diets that were 25% protein and 15% fat, but were 480 kcals per cup. The purcase price was more than Pedigree, but I fed an average of 1 3/4 cups daily to hounds that were run 3 days a week, at 4-6 hour stretches each day. Their coats were immaculate, weights were perfect. Just the right amount of fat and muscle on their bodies with maybe 1-2 small stools per day. Which food is the better value, regardless of purchase price?

Purina ONE & Pro Plan are much better choices, and you probably don't have to use a performance feed depending on how often you run them, becuase the higher end Purina foods tend to be high in calories. Regular Pro Plan is 489 kcals per cup - that's the 26/16 chicken formula. I checked out Pedigree's website and their dry food is on average 290 kcals per cup!!!!! That is INSANELY low. That is probabyl the lowest kcals I've ever heard of in any dry food.

You can also try Blackwood, which is a little pricy, but very high in calories & very digestable. The hounds always have the best muscle tone on this and very fat, happy pups, bitches who milk like cows. http://www.blackwoodpetfood.com I've also herad good things about NutriSource, which is moderately priced, and similar in formulation to Pro Plan, but with less corn, lol.

Right now I'm feeding Healthwise, which is very reasonably priced. I'm using their 30/20 active formula which is 446 kcals per cup. Running the dogs 3x weekly, an average of 12 hrs total weekly running time. They look GOOD. lol http://www.naturapet.com/brands/healthwise.asp

gus

Post by gus »

I ran mine for seven hours last week and they were still hunting when we decided to quit. Some are on Ol Roy and some are on Diamond 26%. I could see no difference in their performance.
If a beagle can't run for more than an hour it's probably the breeding and not the feed.

Smoke them Bunnys

Post by Smoke them Bunnys »

I agree with HILLBILLY I use ol roy hp dogs perform well no problems here have used it for years i even let pups start out on it GOOD STUFF

bluegrass

Post by bluegrass »

Kirkland food is made by Diamond anyway...I just dont understand why they seem to use better ingredients in the Kirkland food than their own name brand.

Tony

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

I just switched to Sportmix High Energy and see a big difference in everything we look for dog food. My hounds are gaining weight or holding it better now, more energy, better coats, and less stool. I'm on my second 100#s and I'm feeding less already and paying only a dollar more than what I was feeding.
Should of changed long before this. JMHO

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

B.Trull

Post by B.Trull »

Beagled1 wrote:I'm always looking for a cheaper way to care for my hounds. I do my own shots, worm them with panacur (horse wormer), buy my own FishMox instead of dragging them to the Vet everytime I think they have a mild infection, etc. My hounds are well cared for and healthy - everytime something comes up the issue gets addressed, even if it's not by the Vet, sometimes my home remedies cure the dog better!

Nutrition is one thing I can be pretty anal about, and will not cut corners on for ANYTHING. Food is the best medicine for keeping a dog healthy, and saves me thousands in Vet bills down the road. The most expensive diets aren't necessarily the best, but the cheapest are that way for a reason ;) Pedigree and Ol Roy are very, very low in meat based protein & calories. I don't see it often mentioned here, but the "kcal" (kilocalorie) content of a food is MORE improtant than the ratio of fat/protein! A food can be 30% protein but only 380 kcals because the manufacturer is not using quality, digestable, animal based ingredients. That food is not going to keep weight on a hound for anything, you'll be feeding 4 cups a day and he'll still look ragged. Pedigree happens to be VERY low in kcals, because it's a grain based feed - so is Ol Roy - they're basically corn, soy & byproducts. I don't necessarily mind the corn and the by products, but NEVER as the main protein sources!

On that same note, I've fed diets that were 25% protein and 15% fat, but were 480 kcals per cup. The purcase price was more than Pedigree, but I fed an average of 1 3/4 cups daily to hounds that were run 3 days a week, at 4-6 hour stretches each day. Their coats were immaculate, weights were perfect. Just the right amount of fat and muscle on their bodies with maybe 1-2 small stools per day. Which food is the better value, regardless of purchase price?

Purina ONE & Pro Plan are much better choices, and you probably don't have to use a performance feed depending on how often you run them, becuase the higher end Purina foods tend to be high in calories. Regular Pro Plan is 489 kcals per cup - that's the 26/16 chicken formula. I checked out Pedigree's website and their dry food is on average 290 kcals per cup!!!!! That is INSANELY low. That is probabyl the lowest kcals I've ever heard of in any dry food.

You can also try Blackwood, which is a little pricy, but very high in calories & very digestable. The hounds always have the best muscle tone on this and very fat, happy pups, bitches who milk like cows. http://www.blackwoodpetfood.com I've also herad good things about NutriSource, which is moderately priced, and similar in formulation to Pro Plan, but with less corn, lol.

Right now I'm feeding Healthwise, which is very reasonably priced. I'm using their 30/20 active formula which is 446 kcals per cup. Running the dogs 3x weekly, an average of 12 hrs total weekly running time. They look GOOD. lol http://www.naturapet.com/brands/healthwise.asp

Since you are so anal have you tried feeding your dogs a raw diet ????

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

We went from Pride back to Sportmix 24/20, I liked Pride but they just outpriced themselves... :(
Hounds are doing well on Sportmix and my wallet has stopped getting lighter... ;)
Did you hear that fat went from 8 cents to 16 cents a pound? Wonder just what the cost is to fill a 50# bag... :chef:

JCM

Post by JCM »

I have fed Sportmix 24/20 for several years and really like it. I ran one dog 46 days out of 60 this summer, and he looked good the whole time. I think this is the best thing about Sportmix. When you run dogs hard, they continue to look good, and maintain a high level of energy. For the money, I don't think you can beat the Sportmix 24/20.