FLEAS,FLEAS,FLEAS

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rock pushin rabbit hunter

FLEAS,FLEAS,FLEAS

Post by rock pushin rabbit hunter »

Fleas have over ran this place.I've tried everything I know to get rid of them.I've sprayed the yard with Paramite,I've covered it with sevin dust.Ive changed all the bedding out in my dog houses and sprayed them with paramite inside and out.I put Sevin dust under all the houses.All of this has not phased the fleas at all.I can bath and dip my dogs and they are covered again in a couple days.I can walk up to feed my dogs and my legs will be covered.I'm all out of ideas.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Home Of
LPGRCH LPBCH 2013 Ky. State Ch. Winner Dixie Drivin' Big Show
LPGRCH 2012 Autism Hunt Winner Hicks' Edge
LPGRCH Watts Rabbit Traitor
LPRCH LPBCH Longwoods Krusher
LPRCH Cave Run Josie

wvrabbithunter

Post by wvrabbithunter »

go to a few old hardware stores and try and find some dursban mix with water hard to find but it works i use it inside and out frank

I'll send my wife out tomarow to try to find some.I'm worried about my champion dog.He has been acting very weak and fatiged.He doesn't have near the stamina he had a month ago.I'm afraid it has to do with the fleas.Right now I'm bathing them every other day with flea and tick shampoo,I know that cant be good for them.
Home Of
LPRCH Cave Run Josie

frank caplinger

Post by frank caplinger »

Go to Walmart and buy you some Bayer Tree and Shrub.It comes in a blue bottle and cost about $20.It is located in the garden section I use
it on my hounds and it does a great job of keeping fleas off them.I have
also heard that you can wash them in Dawn dishwashing liquid as flea
shampoo.I hope that helps.

I use the dawn regularly.It kills what fleas are on them,but it doesn't help prevent them from coming back.A buddy of mine called and suggested Permethryn barn spray.
Home Of
LPRCH Cave Run Josie

FrancoMo1678

Post by FrancoMo1678 »

Get some K-9 advantage

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

I'd go with Front Line Plus.. It's expensive but I hear mostly good comments about it! 75 $ it cost me for a six month supply...crazy!
Don’t count the days, make the days count.

green river

Post by green river »

FetchingPixels wrote:I'd go with Front Line Plus.. It's expensive but I hear mostly good comments about it! 75 $ it cost me for a six month supply...crazy!

I agree. It works great.

I'm going old school on these fleas! I've found some old time kreso dip.I thought they stopped making it years ago.I also found a yard spray called Stock-Tox.It is 10% permethrin.The strongest yard spray I could find at Wal-Mart was only 2.5%.I'm going to try it when I get home from work tomarrow,wish me luck.
Home Of
LPRCH Cave Run Josie

TC

Post by TC »

The reason your dog maybe weak is due to tape worms they get tape worms from fleas... Even though you worm regularly, having a bout of fleas can re infest your dog. I would worm him also.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

Chain Gang

Post by Chain Gang »

Bayer Tree and Shrub works great. $20.00 for a bottle that will last a few years if you dont have 100 hounds. I'll never pay the inflated prices for the same ingredients again. If you'll try it you'll be rid of fleas in a day or so, with no ill effects to the dogs. 3cc on the back of each neck since your totally infested.

MasonsBeagles

g

Post by MasonsBeagles »

Frontline Plus...get it for BIG DOG dose. Cut it down and apply 1cc per full grown beagle. You can do four with a Big Dog Dose. Do all the dogs and then in about a week you wont have fleas.
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.

jcrowner

Post by jcrowner »

I do the same thing as MasonsBeagles and it works GREAT! (same dosage as well). Since I started doing that regularly I haven't seen a single flea.

I sent my dog that was feeling weak to the vet today.He checcked him out thoroughly.He asked if I had some females in heat.Itold him I had 2 in heat right now and they were kenneled about 15 yards from him.He told me that he had a swollen prostate.He gave me antibiotics and a liquid vitamin to help with his appetite.I just got finished spraying the yard down with Stock-Tox,Ilet you know how well it works.
Home Of
LPRCH Cave Run Josie

S.ROSE

Post by S.ROSE »

Had a huge problem with fleas in my yard and around kennels last summer,but did not have but a few on the dogs. I always use frontline plus on the dogs. Buy the extra large dog package, put 1cc on each beagle. It is not expensive that way. The price quoted in another post was $75 for the Extra Large dog 6 month package. That package has 24.12 cc's total in it. When you buy the package for a 25-30 dog it says put the entire tube on the dog. That tube contains a little less than 1cc. So if you apply 1cc per dog you could treat 24 beagles for $75 dollars which is a little over $3 per dog.
Buy the Bayer Tree And Shrub and spray it on your yard or kennel area with on of those hose-end sprayers. The kind you attach to the end of a garden hose. This will put out enough water-chemical mixture to soak in the ground a little . It will stay there and do a very good job. Spraying with a regular garden sprayer will apply the chemical to the surface and do a fair job. Been Beagling for 30 years this is the best I've found. By the way the BAYER TREE AND SHRUB will probably get the fleas off the dogs if applied to their backs, but it will not control ticks if you have them.