Bleeding tip of tail

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

DinoHagy

Bleeding tip of tail

Post by DinoHagy »

I need help with my dogs tail I can't keep it from bleeding, and after awhile she bites on it she just pounds the brush so hard it won't heal.
NORTHWAY ALL THE WAY!

Huntin54

Post by Huntin54 »

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

Get someone to help you band it. If you post your location, there may be someone nearby. Good luck.

tickledblue

Bleeding Tail

Post by tickledblue »

You can go to your local farmer's co-op and get some small elastorator (sp) bands that are used in castrating goats, sheep etc.. You can buy the tool to apply the bands with for $20+ or you can take a piece of 3/4" pipe, cut a piece of wood (dowel, broom handle etc.) fit and glue it in the end of the pipe. Trim the wood to a point(cone). Roll the rubber band over the wooden point and onto the pipe. Place the dog's tail inside the pipe and roll the band off where you want the tail to drop off. I have docked lots of dogs this way. The tail will loose the hair in a few days. Within a week or so it will fall off. After it's dead you can cut it off with diagonal pliers if you wish. It's as humane as what the bands are designed for; castration and tail docking sheep. The dog will be much better off without the pain each time it is hunted. In Southern states such as Tn, Ms etc where there is alot of cover including blackberry briars and multiflora rose tail docking is common.
"Breeding dogs ain't like mixing paint". The only way to know for sure what a breeding will produce is to do it. http://www.tickledbluebeagles.com

Jane

Post by Jane »

It's a really good method. I did it to my Branko male a couple of months ago but I didn't take off enough and had to do it twice. He lost alot of blood and was anemic, so I had no choice but to band it. It was cheaper than going to the vet, the hand held castrating tool was $20 and the bag of band was $4, put the band in the fridge to keep the elasticity, if left out they will not be as tight as you like.
You can still run your hound with it on too ! Good luck.

rock pushin rabbit hunter

Post by rock pushin rabbit hunter »

Its a tough decision,but if its that bad I would go ahead and band it.You're dog will feel much better.
Home Of
LPGRCH LPBCH 2013 Ky. State Ch. Winner Dixie Drivin' Big Show
LPGRCH 2012 Autism Hunt Winner Hicks' Edge
LPGRCH Watts Rabbit Traitor
LPRCH LPBCH Longwoods Krusher
LPRCH Cave Run Josie

DinoHagy

Post by DinoHagy »

Thanks guys for all of your input. It looks like I gotta have her tail cut off. I was hoping I could put medicine on it to heal it, but it dont look like Im going to be able to.
NORTHWAY ALL THE WAY!

Huntin54

Post by Huntin54 »

DinoHagy wrote:Thanks guys for all of your input. It looks like I gotta have her tail cut off. I was hoping I could put medicine on it to heal it, but it dont look like Im going to be able to.
Don't waste your money on all the medicine and things like that. I did and I ended up docking it myself.

FrancoMo1678

Re: Bleeding tip of tail

Post by FrancoMo1678 »

When you do use the band ,where do you place it ? Do you just go right under the irritated spot and place the band or do you do a certain length?
Thanx

hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

i just docked my first tail on my best male 3 weeks ago and it was easy and the way to go. you can hunt them right after and no blood. i had to do it he was geting weak and loosing tons of blood to the point of almost falling out and i had to carry him back to the truck.i measured his tail and it was 12in. long so i took off almost 1/3 of it in fact i was hoping that it would just fall off but looks like i am going to have to cut it this weekend it's really no big deal and i would do it again.

hillbilly
As you have the opportunity, do good to all men, especially those of the household of faith.

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

Don't cut it. I've seen it take 3 weeks and more to fall off, but it will. Cut it and you have problems unless you cut behind the band after it is dead, that won't hurt anything. It will bleed just a little when it falls off. Just put some blue medicine (gentian violet) on it. It's a mild antiseptic.

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

Hillbilly: If it is dried out and "dead" past the band, I would cut it just to the tail tip side of the band so it will go ahead and heal. If you leave just a bit of dead tissue, it will shed in due time. I have one I double-banded on Sunday after bleeding profusely on Saturday. He is a "red dog" but everyone commented on how bloody his sides were. He bled alot and I did not want him to go anemic on me! I think I will run him Saturday with the band on. If the tip is still on Sunday, I will probably cut it off Sunday. That will give him a week of healing time before next Saturday. I spray mine with Granulex daily until the skin has healed. If I do not have Granulex on hand, I use Blue Lotion Spray or Iodine. I like for it to fall off on its own but I can not wait three weeks! Good luck!

paducahky1

Post by paducahky1 »

i have done about 4 of my dogs, i used a simple rubber band, the dogs still hunted til it fell off, nvr had any infectionor noticed any problems with them, and i used DERMAPLAST on it when it finally fell off, and on any cuts scratches or dings my dogs have
never met a horse that couldnt be rode or a man that couldnt be throwd

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

I docked one of my Syris females, yesterday because she keeps bleeding really bad and it never seems to complete grow the hair back because of being tore up so much. I bought the castrating tool at co-op for $10.00 and a bag of bands for $4. i had my son to help, but the way i did it, i went a 1/2" behind bad spot and while my son held her i felt for the joint to place the band, then pushed skin on tail towards the hounds rump then slid the band on the joint in between the bone on the tail. This is how my vet told me to do it and it seems to work really good, she should lose it in a couple weeks.
VET BILL: $ 0
COST:$14.00
RESULTS: PRICELESS. :biggrin:
Donnie Gibson/Gibson Plateau Kennel
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

2 weeks and her tail hasn't dropped off yet but it's turned black, it still has most of the hair on it but i don't think it will be on there much longer.
I figure in a week or so it should fall off.
Donnie Gibson/Gibson Plateau Kennel
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys