Sevin dust safe?

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Tallasan

Sevin dust safe?

Post by Tallasan »

for pregnant females?

I've bought a bag of the sevin5 for the kennel for fleas and ticks but i have a female that was just bred in there and don't want to hurt her future pups.

If sevin isn't safe what product could i use for the female for flea and tick control?

Thanks in advance,
-Tim

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

After doing a little research online I would not use this on my dogs nor would I expose myself to it. Here is a good site http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/carbaryl.html

If you have fleas I would use revolution or some other safer product.

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

bluegrass

Post by bluegrass »

I dont know about others, but I have used Sevin dust for years and I personally know other beaglers that have also, with no ill effects whatsoever. And, it is very effective. Nevermind what the EPA says about it, they also took Diazanon off the market and now I cant find anything to kill all the lawn bugs I have....

Tony

TC

Post by TC »

I agree Tony. been using it for years in and aroundf the box We also use Frontline on our Dogs to.
The seven Dust has been used for YEARS with no known Ill effects..
The EPA just dont want ya using it because it Works and folks will stop bying the more expensive stuff that DONT..........
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Sprinkle "20 Mule Team Borax" around the pen and especially around the dog box on the ground against the box. Not in the box.
It will not bother her nor the pups and will eliminate the fleas next generation.
I have dirt pens and it works even when it rains and you can't see it as it has gone in the ground.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I've also used seven dust for years with no ill effects.

marr24

Post by marr24 »

I've used sevin dust, it works great. I wouldn't sprinkle it on my food (although it's probably already on it as it is commonly used as an agricultural pesticide), but neither would I do that with any of the other more popular (and expensive) products that are available. They all contain potent chemicals. And, Revolution isn't effective against the Deer Tick, only the American Dog tick.

Joe P.

Post by Joe P. »

I have used it for years also with no ill effects and My dad has used it for more years than I have.
I just used some on a pregnant female today and have done it in the past. I would not use it for atleast 2 weeks before she is due to whelp.
Joe Peavler
Hill Country Blueticks

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Where exactly do you guy's sprinkly SevenDust..........In the box where they sleep (on the plywood) and on the dog's back. I'm clueless..........

What if the dog's lick it..........
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

I've always dusted the dogs with sevin dust.
I always figured most of the flea powders you get were just sevin dust.

mo. beagler

Post by mo. beagler »

Joeyman wrote:Where exactly do you guy's sprinkly SevenDust..........In the box where they sleep (on the plywood) and on the dog's back. I'm clueless..........

What if the dog's lick it..........

Yes...all you need is 5% not the 10% it doesnt take alot and anything on them will be dead in an hour or so.the ticks will stay in them so I will brush or pick them out.
GOD FAMILY COUNTRY

caddis

seven dust

Post by caddis »

I having been using seven dust and have not had any adverse reactions. I just lightly dust the dogs from the high part of the neck back (making sure it doesn't get in their ears, eyes, or nose) when their coats are dry about once week in peak parasite season. The bag of seven I use, actually has instructions for use on canines, indictating it is safe and ok to use on them.

dannycrlsn

Post by dannycrlsn »

Sevin Dust or Carbyl has been marketed for years for control of fleas on dogs and for mites on poultry. In fact if you look at some of those small cans of flea powder for dogs in local department stores you may find out that they contain 5% carbyl (sevin). Sevin comes generally in 2 different strengths, 5% and 10%. The 5% seems to get the fleas off of the dog but doesn't seem to actually kill fleas while the 10% will definitely kill the fleas. I have also used liquid sevin mixed in water as a flea dip for many hounds large and small.

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

Thanks all.. very interesting information. I just looked it up online and from what I read it sounded unsafe. Of course here in Utah we do not have fleas so, I don't have to treat any of my dogs but, if I did need to I might look into it from all your recommendations ;-)

Ya can always learn something new!

leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

Huntin54

Post by Huntin54 »

Windkist, I thought the same thing a few years back when I read about it on another forum.

But then i got some and tryed it. It works good, there is also some sprays made for horses that you can use they also keep the fleas and ticks off the dogs.