What brand of dog food do you use ?

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

If you have had a bad experience with a certian brand , please let us all know .

Thanks ,
Buddy
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

crewchf

Post by crewchf »

Eukanuba Premium Performance!!!!!!! We use to feed Purina High Pro but their coats started to look bad...

Crew Chief

Windkist

Re: What brand of dog food do you use ?

Post by Windkist »

JUDE wrote:What brand of dog food do you use ?
If you have had a bad experience with a certian brand , please let us all know .

Thanks ,
Buddy
All of our dogs and puppies are fed Purina Pro plan Chicken/rice. Not only is a great food but, they give rebate checks which makes it very economical as well. I've tried all the others and have always come back to purina.

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

Beagled1

Post by Beagled1 »

I use Evolve for the adults and have been very pleased with it. Only a 25% protein food, but dogs stay in great condition with thick coats.
I'm thinking of going back to Eukanuba for pups. I've tried so many puppy foods and don't like any of them :neutral: Seems as though we never had problems with Euk, so despite the price I'll probably be giving in and starting my current litter on it.
Also supplement hounds of all ages with raw foods.

Kazoo

Post by Kazoo »

River Run by Nutrena. Red Bag 27% protien 18% fat
Tried Kasco, probably good stuff but had one dog that went hyper on it
Tried Diamond, couldn't keep weight on.
River Run also has an excellent puppy formula
$18.00 a Fifty pound bag for the red
Shiny coats, low output, absolutely no problems in five years

TC

Post by TC »

Eukanuba :puke:

Mostly Diamond lamb and Rice but believe it or Not Ol Roy lamb and Rice has the same ingredients only In better Quantitys have been using it the last few mo and So Far love the results Plus All the Dogs will eat it with no ill effects..
We went thru the Euk Stage and NEVER again more trips to the Vet that year than Ever before intestinal infections Weak Stomachs Weight loss Excesive Shedding Ect........and LOTS more Stinky Runny poo!!!!!
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

SilverRockBeagles

Post by SilverRockBeagles »

i feed sport mix hi energy 26/18. Best Dog feed ive fed for my beagles, besides black gold but this is cheaper and my running hounds do great on it, with very little kennel clean up.

crewchf

Post by crewchf »

TC,, what caused all that was your hounds didn't want to move to Kentucky!!!! LOL!!!! We're on Bag 12 (40lb bags) of Eukanuba Premium Performance and ours are doing the best they've ever done.... Now I've never fed the cheap Euk so I can't say you're not on to something there!!! It all comes down to trust and I trust Eukanuba!!!! Now I gotta go feed my bunch, we're just comin in from rabbit runnin... Maybe goin back out tonight, pretty good runs this morning, dad gum Euk keeps them hammerin, I'll tell ya!!!!

Crew Chief

TC

Post by TC »

NAAAA Chief it was years Before the Move!!! Some of the Show Folks talked me into using it.LOL Now I will say I never tried the Performance blend But I have Some other Reasons For no Supporting Eukanuba also!!
I do Ahave to admit I was very VERY Sceptical about the Ol Roy lamb and Rice But Like i said it has better ingredients in it than A lot of the more expensive brands and So far after the 8th bag all the dogs seem to be doing Fine!!!
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

crewchf

Post by crewchf »

PETA sure don't say IAMS is their favorite company on their website!!! Not sure about HSUS??? But our local one here doesn't claim to be a big part of the National HSUS!!! Got to admit they (our local HS) do a great job of finding homes for lost and stray pets through our Petsmart here in Hiram. One of them told me here in Paulding Co. you can tell when its hunting season from the lost beagles and coon dogs comin in!!! Thats the part of our sport that the non hunters don't quite understand!!

Crew Chief

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

I feed a 50/50 combo of Purina & Pedigree, w/ a little canned food and water mixed in. Sounds like my dogs are spoiled!

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Spoortsmans Pride!

Over the years, tried all available here and settled on the one that did it all best. Made here in America too.

Wait until it gets really cold to change from the maintenance 21/12 to the 26/18 as it is a hot feed and will cause hot spots if fed too early.
Maintenance is best for as much as most of us get to run. Small dark poop, not stinky, and dogs have plenty of energy and look great.

cuttinedge

Post by cuttinedge »

Sportsman's Pride Maintenance.
Switched from Diamond after my friend lost 80% of his kennel because of their poor testing.

Run and Gun

dog food

Post by Run and Gun »

Purina Pro Plan has been the best I have ever used. I have fed diamond which was OK. Sportsman Pride is really good too but hard too get around here.

TouchstoneBeagles

Post by TouchstoneBeagles »

I prefer purina. Great selection of top quality products and can't beat the proclub benefits. If you are interested in joining pro club send me an e-mail. Many benefits to dog breeders$$$
Structure: the winning edge!
Touchstone hunting beagles are bred for form and function.
Home of GRCH/NatlGRHBCH White River Beau Of Touchstone