Cant tell when in heat

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bluegrass

Cant tell when in heat

Post by bluegrass »

Can anyone tell me how to tell when a dog cycles but doesn't show any signs?? I have a female about 19 months old and would like to breed her, but I haven't seen a single sign that she has been in heat yet?????? Thanks, Tony

Emery

Post by Emery »

Keep her kenneled with the male that you intend to breed to. When she gets to the right point, she should stand for the male. I would believe that you would be able to tell when the heat cycle starts by the male's behavior. Other than that, if she doesn't show then I don't know what else to suggest. There is the possibility that she hasn't come into a heat cycle yet. This wouldn't be the norm, but wouldn't be unheard of either.

Good luck,
Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

Beagleman973

Post by Beagleman973 »

Keep in mind that some bitches only come in once a year. She should have already had at least one, if not two or more cycles though. If you can't detect swelling etc, kenneling with or next to a male is a pretty good idea. Just keep a watchful eye, unless you're wanting that male to breed her.
If you can't run with the BIG DOGS stay on the porch!