Skinny Dog

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

R Davis

Skinny Dog

Post by R Davis »

Doc
I have a 14 mos old male that is run 2 ~ 3 times a week. He is very skinny, so that you can count every rib. You however cannot see his hip bones. He is very muscular and in good health. I have had him tested for worms by two different vets with neg results. Also one vet has done some blood work on him. He is on Heart Guard and has been since weened. I feed him a three pound coffee can of dog food with bacon grease on it nightly. (mixture of Purina and Diamond) I just can't seem to get him to gain any weight. Any information would be greatly appriciated. Also my vet tells me not to worry, that when he matures a little bit more he will start putting on more weight. (14 3/4 and weights in around 15 lbs)

Doc S

Post by Doc S »

Quit the bacon grease for sure. Just asking for trouble there! If he is intestinal worm and heartworm negative and routine bloodwork looked good, he may just be late to fool out. I have had some males look pretty "whippy" until 2 1/2 to 3 years old.
Doc S
Doc S Gundogs
Scott Smith, DVM
Lisa Marie Smith
West Branch, Michigan doc_s_gundogs@yahoo.com

Chris

Post by Chris »

Doc,

What's the negative associated with bacon grease? During gunning season I put as much scrap bacon grease, chicken fat, steak fat, etc. on their food as possible. They're going hard either morning to noon or noon until late afternoon, 4 to 7 days per week. They run hard and I figure they burn off whatever I can give them, and more -- especially when it's cold. I've always thought that their stomach can only take so much feed during the one feeding in the evening that they get (probably 6 cups), so I should supplement with whatever fat (also cod liver oil; albeit for a different purpose) I can. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks for the input.
Chris

www.MillerOutdoors.com
www.Facebook.com/milleroutdoors1
www.YouTube.com/c/MillerOutdoors1
Instagram @milleroutdoors1
Twitter @milleroutdoors

Doc S

Post by Doc S »

Pork fat, and to a lesser extent beef fat, can induce a condition called pancreatitis. This can be a serious medical condition requiring days or even weeks of hospitalization with i.v. fluids. They also do not ustilize these fats effeciently. The best fats to supplement with a flaxseed oil, corn oil, or some of the oils of the cold water fishes. I also encourage twice daily feedings on hounds getting worked hard; however, you mjst get up and feed them several hours ahead of time.
Doc S
Doc S Gundogs
Scott Smith, DVM
Lisa Marie Smith
West Branch, Michigan doc_s_gundogs@yahoo.com

high ridge joe

skinny dog

Post by high ridge joe »

i have a 3 yr old male that recently dropped a lot of weight...he is also skinny...he is on a heartworm medicine now...i also notice that he tries to eat his own stool if it is not cleaned out of his kennel run immediately. what am i missing? tapeworm?
joe t