Age Of Puppy Coming Home

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beaglesarethebest

Age Of Puppy Coming Home

Post by beaglesarethebest »

I have had a couple of people tell me to wait till 8 wks old because they need their mother till than & that Vacs don't work till 8 wks or older..But I also read that puppies vaced at 6 wks will be fine.

Can someone help me one this?

Robyn

show dog

Post by show dog »

The pups leave the mom at 5 weeks completely. So if you get a pup at 6 weeks it is hardly established on food. They also benefit from the social play for those two weeks, helps them learn about biting, interacting with others, problem solving. That is why 8 weeks is the better age to get the dog.

Carolyn

Bunny Runner

Post by Bunny Runner »

Carolyn,

I totally agree with you!! The pups learn alot about socialization and their "place" in the pack from 6 - 9 weeks. I have always felt that this period was critical in having a pup that is well adjusted, plus they don't cry as much when separated from the mom or the litter.

:D :D :D

Renee'
Education, Preservation, and Conservation ensures a "WILD" future for our children!

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

8 weeks min is the usual recommendation, and some breeders may insist up to 12 weeks.

If the breeder has gotten rid of all the other pups at 5-6 weeks and is just leaving the last pup alone in a box or barrel or something (which I've seen done), then it isn't going to get any stimulation or socialization and would be better-off going to your home. But I hope your breeder isn't anything like that.

beaglesarethebest

Post by beaglesarethebest »

By no means are they like that They really don't want him coming home at 6 wks but the month of October is horribly busy for my husband and the last weekend of Sept is the only weekend open till middle of Nov and we only have 1 good running vehicle that I trust to go farther than 20 miles..But I do have other beagles at home and I am home all day so I hope to have him well socialized. All 3 of my dogs are very well socialized