running bred females

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

windyridge

running bred females

Post by windyridge »

when do most of you stop running a female that is pregnant?

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: running bred females

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I usually can see signs of being bred by the 5'th-6'th week. At that point I will run them some solo for a couple of hours.I don't run them with other hounds where they may try to be competitive or get pulled too hard.
You want to keep your bred female in good shape before she whelps as it will make it easier for her to deliver pups if in good shape.Fat /over weight bitches can have troubles.
I know there are guys that will run their bred females right up close to whelping,that's their choice. Way I look at it is, that when I plan on raising a litter a lot of thought has gone in to it,maybe a stud fee,travel and/or expenses getting her bred,brucellosis test,etc.
Why would I want to risk all that by pushing a bred female too hard in the last 2-3 weeks of her pregnancy? I'd rather err on the side of caution then lose a litter.
As always JMHO
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

I'll pack them until they start to show, then solo them up to about week prior to whelping or when they begin to bag.
Like Dana said, it's much easier for a female to whelp if she is in shape plus I believe it puts hunt into the pups.

I have a female due 2/24/19, tonight may well be her last solo trip before whelping, she is pretty big and just beginning to bag and don't want to hurt her.

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

We run until about day 35...depending on the female and how heavy with pups she is by then. And the time of year. Snake season, they get run only until we start seeing snakes. After day 35...we will put in a small pen for exercise as delivery is easier in a well-toned female. But, instead of hours and hours, it may be limited to just an hour every couple days. By day 50, we are just doing walks.

Excited for your next litter! Pups are fun!

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
918-633-3519