Anyone seen this before

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

LR Patch

Anyone seen this before

Post by LR Patch »

I run my dogs a couple time a week sometimes 3.I go to a different place each time and repeat this cycle each week.Now it very hot and humid here
where I live. The last 3 weeks the next day after I run in this 1 place some
of my dog will be all swelled up on 1 side of thier head from the eye back to the ear including half the top of the head.By the next day the swelling is going down on that side but moves to the other side for about 24 hours
and then goes away.It only happens when I run at this 1 spot and it don't happen to all the dogs.Now this place is thick I mean very heavy thorns& briars, small saplings and so on it also is infested with fire-ants.The other places don't have many or very few fire-ants.None of these places have
natural water so I supply some for the dogs when and if we go back by the truck.I'm thinking it's the ant biting them.Anyone ever seen or incountered anything like this.I'll listen to any advice except don't go there!
Thanks
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Emery

Post by Emery »

You probably answered your own question with the fire ants. That would be my guess. Some of your dogs get it because they may work harder at a check and in turn get the ants on them. The others have either figured it out and stay away or they may not work a check in that particular area as well... Just my opinion...

Best of luck,
Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

DBM

snakes

Post by DBM »

You may have found some snakes.

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

I've never seen fire ant bites react like that unless maybe a dog/person was allergic. Usually you just get some painful-and-itchy little bumps with some swelling, but the swelling usually isn't too bad (especially after the first few hours). Maybe certain dogs of yours are more sensitive to the bites. But you should find plenty of long-lasting evidence of fire ant bites if that's the case, not just swollen heads.

There are plenty of other insects and creatures that can cause problems, or maybe even some sort of plant.

Strap a video camera on one of the dogs and see! :)

ringtail

Post by ringtail »

i dont know what got your dogs but i know i was running a brush lot i usually run in about a month ago and all my dogs heads and ears swelled up not real bad and they lost thier hair,,,,,,,,,now i didnt know the guy that ows the plot sprayed weed killer the day before,,,,,,

ridgerunner

Post by ridgerunner »

this happened to one of my dogs a few weeks back, I assummed she got into a nest of ground hornets. It's getting to be thier time of year.