pups with roundworms/hookworms

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Bouef Island Beagles

pups with roundworms/hookworms

Post by Bouef Island Beagles »

I have my dogs on dirt in pens in my shed. I had a litter of pups born in Nov. and now I have them in the kennels where the other dogs were. I can't seem to get rid of the worms and vet says they can live for years in the dirt. My question is would I have better luck on concrete or with above ground kennels for my pups.

TC

Re: pups with roundworms/hookworms

Post by TC »

My vet said that to get rid of the worms out of dirt you need to till the area then put down lye. Worms are every where in other animals so you are going to run into it it is just fact of life get you some good wormer like pyrantel promate and dose them up every two weeks for about 3 to 4 months and you should get rid of the ones you have, but you need to treat the area that the pups were on to get them out of the soil.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

Bouef Island Beagles

Post by Bouef Island Beagles »

Thanks for the info on tilling it up. That is what I been worming them with but everytime I take one in for a checkup they still have worms so I thought maybe if I get them up off the dirt it might help.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I treat the ground of my kennels with 20 Team Borax, on recommendation from my vet. It serves several purposes, it kills and repels fleas, also kills whip worm eggs and other types of parasitic eggs.
We also use field lime on the ground for a floor. It seem the alkaline is not conductive to worms and the eggs they lay.

Also, after you worm, go back in a couple of weeks and reworm again to knock any eggs that may have hatched.

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

My question is would I have better luck on concrete or with above ground kennels for my pups.
Some people don't like the above ground kennels but that is what I use and since using them I don't have the worm problem that I had. The only draw back to the above kennel that I have found is that if you don't run your dogs regular you will have to keep trimming their toe nails which is nothing compared to having worms.

little e kennels

Post by little e kennels »

i keep mine on the ground and i use a liquid called kennelsol. I mix it like the directions say and spray it with a 1 gallon sprayer. it kills ever thing and i have not had near the parvo problem i have had in the past.. I get it from a local pet boarding palce.

Pulpwood725

Post by Pulpwood725 »

I keep mine on a concrete slab and don't have worm problems. I also use Safeguard for worming.

island ridge hounds

Post by island ridge hounds »

i like being proactive about worming dogs, i use equimax most of the time. once upon a time i would use safeguard once everyother month and equimax on the month i skip the safeguard and i do believe my dogs were at there healthest. i'm just to lazy to worm them three days in a row. equimax i use it once a month and they seem to be pretty healthy. to me it doesn't matter where you put them as long as you have a worming program.
let honesty run through the veins of each and every judge at each and every trial at each and
every format.

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

Pups are expensive to raise and hard to keep healthy,I started keeping them off the ground years ago untill they were at least 3 mos. old.I never let them touch the ground untill they have had several wormings and a couple rounds of shots.You can get the worms cleaned out of them with regular worming and keeping their pen clean.Almost all of the problems and added expence related with health issues went away.If you can keep them healthy and away from the vet you are doing good.