thin beagle

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Cliff n.

thin beagle

Post by Cliff n. »

i have two males that are brothers around 3 1/2years old,,,seams lately i can not keep weight on them..ribs show, hair on back stands up,back bony,today they ate a little slower been throwing more food to them..been feeding high protein joy dog food..even tried show time..they are on panacur/ ivomec....but cant keep weight on them?????
any help would be nice
thanks cliff

mike crabtree

Re: thin beagle

Post by mike crabtree »

What kind of doghouse are they in?? They could be using all the food energy keeping warm.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

Cliff n.

Post by Cliff n. »

i do keep them in plastic barrels with leaves, straw,cedar chips,mixed......and they are on the ground.?

Spruce Ridge Beagler

Post by Spruce Ridge Beagler »

I use a powdered milk replacer daily when I want to fatten a dog up, tractor supply here in Mi sells several good ones, usually about 24 on the fat and protien. A raw egg and some cooked fatty hamburger once in a while helps too.
SUCCESS- When preparation and opportunity cross paths!

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

A plastic barrel is awful big for 1 beagle.Especially if the door hole is very big and uncovered. A barrel is big enuff for 3 beagles in the winter. My boxes are 22 inches on the inside, and when it gets in the teens or colder I still double my dogs up.

Where is Beaverdam VA ?
276 620 1572

Plowboy

Post by Plowboy »

In my experiance, hair up on back & won't keep on weight, means a big ole Tape worm has setup shop in the intestines. The wormers you mentioned won't phase a Tape.

Plowboy

Cliff n.

Post by Cliff n. »

Plowboy:: what is the best thing to get rid of Tapeworms?? so many product out there!!!!!

mike crabtree:: that's good info on the barrel,, Beaverdam,Va is in western Hanover county, about 15 miles off interstate 295, route 33..and 15 miles off of the Doswell, exit I-95...

TapeWorms what can i use/ without a R/X
thanks cliff

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

The Panacur gets some tapes. but not the Hydatid tapes.

Paratak Plus, Canine Allwormer, or Drontal+ will get everything but heart worms.
276 620 1572

bigriver

Post by bigriver »

try the ppo wormer sold by chip eisenhut eisenhuy kennel supply he has adds in all the beagle books
it suspose to get rid of both tape worms
TIM MARSHALL
765-299-3699
BIGRIVERBEAGLES.COM
HOME OF:
PCH GRHBCH BIG RIVER SADIE
PCH BIG RIVER MAGGIE
PCH BIG RIVER JAKE
PCH BIG RIVER JACK
PCH BIG RIVER TRAPPER
HBCH BIG RIVER COCO