Cherry Eye

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

LR Patch

Cherry Eye

Post by LR Patch »

My Question is this: Is this something that is genenetic,passed gy breeding
or just something that happens?
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

patchhounder

Post by patchhounder »

Not 100% sure but I was always told that it would be passed on. That is just coming from the older men that I run dogs with.

patchhounder
Those who work the hardest will be rewarded in the end.

Red Briar Kennels

Post by Red Briar Kennels »

Jumpdog, I'm not a vet, however we are breeders, have dealt with the problem first hand (dog having a cherry eye), as well as we often refer to a source of ours and many others, the book called "Dog Owners Veterinary Handbook" third addition by James M. Giffin, M.D. & Liisa Carlson, D.V.M. It states that it is a CONGENENITAL defect, but fails to say whether it is GENENETIC. I think that possibly it may be a trait or a recessive gene that might always be there, but may remain dormant until matched with "like" recessive gene. So I think the potential may be there, however, I don't believe that it is an absolute. The hound in which we had, had a cherry eye. However, none of her litter mates had any, nor did the parents. We never got any pups from her due to her getting stolen before we got the right opportunity. She was a FANTASTIC dog and appearently someone else thought so too. She was probably one of the best jump dogs we ever owned, and I would have not let the cherry eye issue dominate whether or not to have had her bred, provided that we could've found the right male to compliment her. At the time our vet recomended that we leave things be, and opt not to have the cherry eye cut out. It never bothered her, as we owned and ran her hard for several years, it did look painful though. Now, I think I would get one cut out if I were to get a pup with the same problem. When I got the female that was afore mentioned she was already 1 yr. old. This is a good question for a good vet. Maybe you'll get another response. Goodluck.
Red Briar Kennels

Post by Guest »

I had a dog that got it but to this day her littermate sister has never had it or the rest of the litter of dogs she was aout 2 years old when she got it.