Help on Seizures

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

roaring brook

Help on Seizures

Post by roaring brook »

Thinking of buying a bitch that owner said has random (what looks like) seizures. Current owner started adding small amount of sugar with food seems to help. Can this carry over to litter if breed? Littermates of bitch shows no problems. Any help? Thanks.

Windkist

Re: Help on Seizures

Post by Windkist »

roaring brook wrote:Thinking of buying a bitch that owner said has random (what looks like) seizures. Current owner started adding small amount of sugar with food seems to help. Can this carry over to litter if breed? Littermates of bitch shows no problems. Any help? Thanks.
Breeding a bitch with seizures is risky at best. The whole point of us breeding our dogs should be to better what we have. I had a cocker spaniel years ago that I bred and I had no idea she had seizures before the breeding. Each of her puppies had seizures and I had to put the litter down. Its best to stop it in its tracks at the source.

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

Beagled1

Post by Beagled1 »

The low blood sugar excuse is a cop out for someone who doesn't want to admit their hound has epilepsy. Seizures from hypoglycemia are very rare and will occur only if the hound has exerted himself to the point of exhaustion in the field. If its a regular occurrence, or even if it has occurred a handful of times, its not low blood sugar. Lots of times, epileptic hounds will seize in the field because the strain of the hunt is a trigger for the seizure ...
Hounds with epilepsy do suffer some brain damage, depending on the length, severity and how long the dog has been having seizures. My best bluetick hound couldn't scent his way out of a paper bag after the seizures got through with him. It can ruin a good hunting dog and render him useless for his job. Sometimes the seizures cause their personalities to change, as well. I would pass on this dog, because there are certainly other good and great ones who will make a great rabbit dog but not have this awful problem.

Moore Beagles

Post by Moore Beagles »

This can be one of the worst health issues for a beagle. I had one several years ago, about the time he got to running rabbits like a pro, the seizures increased to the point, that he could not lead a normal life.
Pass this one by and be happy that you knew ahead of time, otherwise your get disapointed on down the line. Gregg
I'll keep My GOD, MY Freedom, My Guns, and My Money! You can keep the "CHANGE".

The Rich and Poor have a common bond, The LORD is the maker of them all. Proverbs 22:2

Blessed by the Best

Paul Curtis

Post by Paul Curtis »

Do what Moore tells you, I won't say any names but I bought a male not knowing about the fits, it is nothing but a waste of time, it will pass on I can guarantee you that because I tried it and a female at 11 months had a fit. I gave her and her brother to my vet to spay and let his grandkids have them. I'm not saying they all will, but it's not worth the trouble trust me. I wish I would have known about it I wouldn't have bought the dog. One more thing, this dog died while running at not quiet 2 years old. You live and learn though. I wasted alot of time for sure. I could never get anything real positive at the time if it passes on, but I can assure you now that it does!!!!!!!!!!!! I would definitely not pay money for it or plan on breeding it. I am no expert by any means but I wish I would have gotten this advice back then. I myself would never try to sell a dog like this, this goes beyond trying to sell a dog that doen't suit you because of its style. It has a health defect period end of story DO NOT BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!! One more thing I tried nutracal and all that, did not work, who wants to carry cookies and honey around for a dog while there trying to hunt anyway.

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

I definitely would not buy her to breed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pay them a fair price as a rabbit dog with such a condition if you want her to hunt but as breeding stock, you need to pass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of the pups will likely seem fine but it can come back to bite you later if they start having them frequently as adults or if they pass the trait to their offspring! Even if they do not have seizures often they can be carriers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latimer Beagles

Post by Latimer Beagles »

Everyone has given you excellent advise, never breed to a hound, male or female that has seizures. A lot of beaglers will justify seizures by saying that there hound has sugar fits, this is incorrect.

crewchf

Post by crewchf »

Lets start over here... My Annie Mae was having siezures(???) that my vet confirmed from seeing one on a video we shot!!! Now we went through all kinds of stuff trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with her when a young (NEW Right Of School) vet at the office said I'll bet shes having flea bite allergies!!! A few tubes of Advantage later and she's CURED!!!!!

Crew Chief

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

While on the subject, I have a question. I mentioned in another post a litter that was sired by a dog that had these fits. Now one of the pups show fitsearly on. 2 others didn't. I sold them and now I might be able to buy backl one of the females for breeding. If she has never shown a fit at 2 years old is she a carrier? What I am asking is this... is the trait dominant or recessive or something in between?

crewchf

Post by crewchf »

Larry,,, If its in the line DON'T do it!!!! These siezures are darn nere impossible to diagnose correctly anyhow!!!!!!!! Me and Donna got LUCKY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich Piacentine

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

I would stay away from lines with Seizures. Even though that bitch doesn't have them her offspring could. Its best to get rid of it and not let it start into your lines again.

leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

high ridge joe

Post by high ridge joe »

Beagled1 Nailed it!!!! Better the breed by breeding by example...not by chance or luck and hope it doesnt pass on to the litter....because it will!!!
My best running female has seizures...I controll them by controlling her stress level..last summer she was running and was absolutley locked onto the scent and the rabbit that day..after a quick drink of water she swatted at her head and had a seizure episode that lasted more than 30 minutes..she went in and out of it 3 times...each time the dogs came by on a rabbit she stopped panting and perked her ears up to listen to the pack..she just wanted to get backout there..sugar water..and i mean like a cup of sugar and a 1/2 qt of water didnt bring her out of it....vet concluded by blood test that it wasnt from low sugar..it was epilepsy....I wont ever breed her..she is 8 yrs old and my best pup trainer..i run her with my pups..if my pup can pick a check infront of her and lead her and not loose it..then I know they are ready for solo work....
If you allready own this hound..keep her for your pleasure and if she is really, really good..use her for runnin with your pups...pup definately not for breeding.

Joe T.
Tuscan Run Beagles